99 1.2 ignition key sticking - slowdown avenue
today [i guess it must be the heat] ignition key was reluctant to turn in my 1999 corsa b
wife comes home and says the key in the astra mk 3 1995 was sticking a bit. Then i get into my agila which was like an oven at time , and yes ,that was the same.
is it just vuaxhall that do this. question is what can i do to avert a disaster
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - bell boy
yes its a vauxhall thingy
DD will be along in a minute with his hb pencil
just be careful out there as the lapd says
keys are dear
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - Rattle
Saw this on the home page so the title shows 99 1.2 key stickingl... I instantly knew it was about a Corsa though. Mine does it all the time but I have a tip if you ensure the steering lock does not engage it never does it. So don't move the wheel once you have parked and the steering lock will not engage until the wheel is moved without the key in.

I just live with it, but if it does get stuck I make sure I don't use any force. A few people have trouble loosing their keys in the ignition but most lock smiths can get them out for around £80 (cheaper than a new barrel, door locks etc)
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - Dynamic Dave
yes its a vauxhall thingy
DD will be along in a minute with his hb pencil

Never had a problem with any of the Vauxhall's I've owned since 1986.

Generally if the key starts to become difficult to turn then that's an early sign to lubricate the ignition lock. If that doesn't work it can mean the ignition barrel is showing signs of wear and should be changed before you get to the stage where you are unable to turn the key.

nb, you need to be able to turn the key so as to remove the barrel to change it. Makes for a very difficult job otherwise.
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - slowdown avenue
what should i use to lubricate the barrel?. i have a spare key and barrel from an earlier model but according to haynes they have slight modification, would they make it impossible to fit?
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - SpamCan61 {P}
I've had two sticky key situations over the years, one on my mk3 Cavalier at around 160k where the whole lot jammed solid and had to be replaced, and once on an Omega at around 180K, where I just gave the lcok mechism a good dose of WD40 and that 'fixed' it until I pensioned it off 10K later. I shudder to think how many miles I've covered in Vauxhalls in the last 20 odd years but it's at least 400,000 miles.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 01/07/2009 at 12:51

99 1.2 ignition key sticking - doofer
I really dont like WD40. I find it just washes off any good oil then evaporates and leaves a sticky residue. Better to go to a locksmith and get proper lock oil.
If you need a penetrant use PlusGas.
The trouble with using WD40 is that it will wash the manufacturers grease out of the lock. Once you've got the lock freed up it's best to spray some grease into the lock.

I've previously pointed people to the following threads - take note of Cyd's suggestions:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8483

Also read this thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19068
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - ifithelps
Graphite is a good lube for locks.

An old remedy was to rub the key with a soft pencil.
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - terry60
Hi Had this same trouble with my 2003 VX Omega
have a look on www.omegaowners.com/forum very detailed advice on this
did as they discribed with fantastic result TC
have a look on www.omegaowners.com/forum

Could you be a bit more specific - ie, the actual post that gives the detailed advice.
www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225657771

ignition lock

it basically shows you to strip the ignition lock down to its basic components
unfortunately on a corsa b you cant do this as its factory built as a one shot operation and peened

the major problem on the corsa b is where the lock extension bit connects with the ignition switch there is a spring that is supposed to push the barrel out slightly so that the key comes out but these springs wear out
update

ignore the bit where i said they are peened
yes you can strip it down,ive just done one and the pin hit me in the eye
the omega thread is right

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/smartiesx3/02-07-09...g

if you look to where ive put the arrow this is where the spring that goes weak sits
99 1.2 ignition key sticking - SpamCan61 {P}
Are we having the same conversation over on Yahoo Omega_Owners Terry? :-).......A.I.

I agree with other posters WD40 is Satan's spawn but it was all I had to hand 'onest guv.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 02/07/2009 at 15:13

99 1.2 ignition key sticking - Victorbox
I'd recommend this stuff for any lock - ignition or on your front door! tinyurl.com/kquk68