VW Golf Mk IV towbar electrics - John MacIntyre
Don't bother buying a VW towbar for your Mk IV Golf without making sure first that there are supplies of the 7-pin electrics to go with it. I've been waiting now for 4 weeks for this part, but my dealer has another customer waiting since February. VW's Customer Services cannot say how long this "supply problem" will last, but are happy to confirm that yes, if you use another manufacturer's electrics, you will invalidate your warranty. Be warned!
Re: VW Golf Mk IV towbar electrics - honest john
VW has promised to respond to this, but the company's internet connection doesn't seem to work properly with 'The Backroom'. Basically what you have asked for is a special part produced in very limited quantities for the UK market only. All of Europe has 13 pin trailer sockets, but we have to be different. What many people do is use the pan European 13 pin socket and fit a 7 pin adaptor between it and the trailer plug.

HJ
Re: VW Golf Mk IV towbar electrics - John MacIntyre
Thanks - I had heard of this 7/13 pin difference. Ironically, the trailer I have just bought new is French, presumably specially fitted with 7-pin electrics for the UK market... If the problem perists, I can try to source the "original" trailer electrics, then get hold of 13-pin socktry as you suggest.
Re: VW Golf Mk IV towbar electrics - Kate Thompson

Dear John

Sorry for the time it has taken me to respond to this - I have been waiting for guidance from our parts department and Germany.

There is a delay on these parts coming from Germany, due to a delay further down the supply chain. Latest news is we are expecting them to arrive in around four weeks time.

In future, we are looking to use a UK supplier for towing electrics: this should not only reduce any delays but it will also mean we have products which are more suited to UK market requirements.

Kate Thompson
Manager, Product Affairs
Volkswagen UK