99 2.0 over revving on braking etc - suds
Hi, my Focus is over revving when coming to a stop. Hitting the brakes sends the revs really high, and the only way to cure it is to brake sharp, take foot off the brakes and then brake again to bring revs back to normal. Makes me look like a boy racer and frightens anyone crossing the road in front of me! Happens intermittently. Also, today the clutch felt really heavy and wouldn't depress properly at first. When I got it in gear there was virtually no power pulling away. Pulled over and left it for a minute and it seems to have sorted itself out, but wonder what is causing it and if it is likely to happen again. The clutch is slipping and now due a new cam belt (done 89,000 miles and 10 years old) but as I know nothing about cars, don't know if any of this is significant. Would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.
99 2.0 over revving on braking etc - clewsy01
My 1.8ltr same year as yours does the same. I have

new clutch
new idle control valve
new speed sensor
new front and rear brakes
new plugs and leads
new timing belt
new wheel bearings
new drive belt

it still baffles me. the only thing i can think of trying is my TPS and then im lost!!!!

your timing belt is due at 100000 miles or 10 years so yours will definatley need doing as the tensioner will probilbly be on its last legs. the 3 peice clucth kit is available form a good trade parts shop for around £115. This includes the 2 plates and the bearing inside. I would look at your timing and clutch but it will be very expensive by the time its all fitted. My car has 92000 miles on it and i got my work done at around 89000 which is your mileage, so it depends if you want to spend the money. i did all the work myself apart from the clutch and the timing belt. If you had no power it sounds like the clucth was slipping and not engaging the gear. I would change it ASAP because the 1.8 and 2.0 ltr focus have a knack of damaging the flywheel causing failure and then it is BIG money.

Hope this helps

Michael
Thanks for that Michael. Will book into the garage for a (large) quote, and also look into the government scrappage scheme as a back-up!

Cherie
99 2.0 over revving on braking etc - Statia
It's the throttle position sensor that's at fault. Swapped mine after scratching my head for two years and it solved it.
99 2.0 over revving on braking etc - Peter D
If you dip the clutch and allow the revs to drop to idle and you then press the brake do the revs shoot up. As do they rise if you brake when stationary. Regards Peter
Revs definately shoot up when braking, then sometimes remain high when I take my foot off the brake, but then will drop after reapplying the brake, but not necessarily straight away. Haven't tried checking when stationary as will die down after a few seconds anyway. Do you think TPS could be the problem? Thanks.
Have done a bit of research and thought the same, so thanks for confirming. Any idea of cost to fix?
99 2.0 over revving on braking etc - Peter D
Could you answer the question, it was quite specific. Regards Peter
99 2.0 over revving on braking etc - clewsy01
the TPS at my local ford dealer is £56.00 +VAT. so not exactly cheap.
99 2.0 over revving on braking etc - Statia
It's not cheap for a poxy potentiometer, which is all it is, but it's worth paying for to fix the problem. The amount of extra fuel you are using with the over-revving shenanigans will pay for itself in no time anyway.

You can swap it yourself in a couple of minutes. It's only two teeny little hex or alan key screws from what I remember and is very simple.