Can people drive competently any more? - gordonbennet
We all think we can, but are our skills being gradually eroded.

I loaded some new large vans today, didn't need any fine clutch control or skill, as soon as i stopped the hill hold function came into play, very clever but is it going too far.

I suppose premature clutch wear and the astronomical cost of DMF's is something to do with this, we've all seen white van man (among others but he's a prime example) riding the clutch at uphill junctions or in traffic....seemingly incapable of proper vehicle control without abuse, i suppose the hill hold will save the poor dear struggling with that pesky handbrake...or is this the pre runner to wholesale electric handbrake's?

Will we have a generation of driver's unable to adequately control a bog standard vehicle without such aids in the near future?

Do any of us take a pride in good driving anymore, and i don't mean belting along at warp speed or causing mayhem by the weekly display of road safety (often pure mimsing leaving frustration and chaos in their wake) some drivers have to show.

I mean taking pride in good technique, mechanical sympathy, smooth predictable and swift progress by skill, observation/awareness and care alone.

Just driving properly.
Can people drive competently any more? - The Melting Snowman
Too many things to look out for. Speed cameras and increasingly these days - potholes.
Can people drive competently any more? - Alby Back
Certainly very few drivers seem able or willing to overtake competently anymore in two way traffic. Nor indeed do many of them leave an adequate gap for those who may wish to overtake them. Close formation convoy driving at the speed of the lead vehicle does appear to have become the norm. Might be fear of cameras I suppose. Illegal maybe but it used to be common practice to briefly exceed the speed limit to quickly complete an overtake. Driving is becoming a bit of chore really. Shame in my humble.
Can people drive competently any more? - Manatee
>>Certainly very few drivers seem able or willing to overtake competently anymore in two way traffic. Nor indeed do many of them leave an adequate gap for those who may wish to overtake them.

Spot on. They do usually brake and let you in as an alternative to contact though ;-)