99 1.5D Instrument Cluster/Clocks not working - tduarts
Please help!

None of the clocks on the Instrument Panel/Cluster are working, not even the fuel. The only thing working is the LCD milage counter.
When I bought the car the rpm clock wasn't working but I didn't bother because you can leave without it. But a few months later the rest of the clocks stopped working too... I had some fuse problems because there was water in one of the tail ligths but I'm not sure if that caused the problem.

Any ideas? Can it be fixed or do I have to buy a new Instrument Panel??
99 1.5D Instrument Cluster/Clocks not working - bell boy
not a red car is it
i had this problem a few years back with only the fuel guage not working
it stumped me
i checked the back of the speedo head ,everything but couldnt find the fault,even had the sender wires out
yes i would suggest a s/h speedo head
if you had asked 2 weeks ago i had one for free on a pewgot i scrapped
99 1.5D Instrument Cluster/Clocks not working - 659FBE
These VDO panels have a flexi printed circuit which is full of zero Ohm links (used as track crossovers). Unfortunately they are crimped to the non plated track with folded clips which do not form a gas-tight joint, so when the copper tarnishes, the board is full of bad connections.

Use a 15W soldering iron carefully so as to not melt the flexi print and solder lengths of thin insulated wire to the tracks just behind the loom connectors to their destination. The fuel gauge track is usually the first one to fail as it has the most links and carries the least current.

The Japanese must think efforts like this are pathetic - a design guaranteed to fail.

Yes bell boy it's a burgundy car.

Thanks for the advice 659 but unfortunately I couldn't spot any bad connections.
I'm left with no alternative but to buy a used one as a replacement. Let's just hope there aren't other problems. Will let you know how it goes.
Hi all,

It has been almost 2 months and believe it or not I couldn't find a spare instrument panel anywhere. I tried ebay, recyclers and scrapers, nothing... All I could find was for the petrol version. Either my car is the last standing or the 106 1.5D are just not dying! :-)

If anybody finds or knows where to get one please let me know.
99 1.5D Instrument Cluster/Clocks not working - bell boy
if the dials are the same in the petrol why not just whack one in to try it?
99 1.5D Instrument Cluster/Clocks not working - 659FBE
The diesel has a different cluster.

Nobody scraps a workable 1.5D because they're so efficient. The petrol versions are usually written off by the Nation's youth.

Get someone proficient with a multimeter and a soldering iron to re-work your existing cluster - it's a quick enough job.