Omega HT Leads - jg
Hi,

Is there a 'real' reason why HT leads for the Omega should cost so much (As you may know they are manufactured in 2 sets of 3 leads, each set costing £75, ex VAT, thereby incurring a total cost of £176.25 incl VAT to replace the 6 leads).

I am aware that you can get 6 leads which will fit from a factors for less than £50 incl VAT - but will these be built to the same specification/quality as the original?

I have no idea what other vehicle manufacturers charge for HT leads for a similar size/type engine - could be the same for all I know.

But 176 quid! Are they really that special?

Omega HT Leads - Peter D
Why are you changing the leads, have you been having the notoriuos mis-fire.

Peter
Omega HT Leads - jg
Yes - you are obviously familiar with it.

Car misfiring so first took it to Vauxhall garage for diagnostic read out - no fault shown (believe it or not).

So changed the plugs = still misfires. Then changed the leads = still mifires. Finally changed DIS unit = Hey Presto! Fault cleared.

OK fault finding may have been less costly but I just wondered if there is anything special about Omega HT leads (apart from their cost)!

Omega HT Leads - Jase
This is a bit of a tangent, so sorry, but how much was the replacement DIS pack?

CavV6 and cavWeb fan.
www.cavweb.co.uk
Omega HT Leads - jg
Well Jase,

The DIS pack is another story................!

My car used one of three types of DIS pack used by Vauxhall for that particular engine (2.5 petrol). As costs go mine was the middle one, made by Bosch and costs £150 plus VAT from my Vauxhall garage and £90 plus VAT from Autovaux. The Autovaux DIS is the 100% original part only difference is it comes in a Bosch box and not a Vauxhall one.

Omega HT Leads - Chad.R
Excuse my ignorance here, but......

What is a DIS unit?

Chad.R
Omega HT Leads - jc
DIS=distributorless ignition system.Mini coil for each plug.
Omega HT Leads - Frontera
I have a frontera 2.2 that is missing when you first rev it , this happens if you put you foot down hard

How can I check to see if it is the DIS unit , I have checked leads and replaced the pluggs
Omega HT Leads - SjB {P}
I drive a Vectra GSi with effectively the same base V6 engine, and drove a SRi V6 for three years before that.

During this period, I have got to know a fair number of Vectra discussion forums and other motoring related web pages, and all of them have users who recommend Magnecor leads as being a cheaper *improvement* on the expensive originals.

I have had no cause to try them myself, as mine are fine, but this is a consistent opinion that I have read, especially for the GM engine we both have.

HTH

/Steve
Omega HT Leads - Cyd
I have Magnecor KV85 on my Rover turbo. I'd recommend them to anyone, though on a normally aspirated motor the sports version would probably be adequate (KV85 are the comp version) since underbonnet temp should not be so high.
Omega HT Leads - carsorange
Why are you changing the leads, have you been having the
notoriuos mis-fire.
Peter

hi
you say the notorious misfire is this a common problem then as i have recently bought an omega v6 and this has a misfire when put under stress accelerating from say 30 to 50 leaves you really flat and quite worrying if overtaking anyway it will be sorted thanks.
Omega HT Leads - Chad.R
JG,

www.autovaux.co.uk (01924 376003) can supply the "Original" HT leads from GM's own supplier for approx half the cost i.e. £80 inc.

So, I dont think there's anything "special" about them apart from the usual Vx/main dealer mark up.

Chad.R
Omega HT Leads - jg
Thanks Chad,

I did speak to Autovaux when I was in the process of replacing the leads and at that time they told me that their leads were not 'Original' although they did use the same cable as the original.

The fact is that replacement leads could have been purchased from a number of sources ranging from a motor factors at less than £50 through to the Vauxhall dealer at over £170 (both incl VAT). It is also of interest that no matter which option was taken the gaurantee period for all was identical.

So unless Vauxhall leads have something in their construction that the others do not you are undoubtedly right, but even allowing for variations in quality a difference of £120 is quite staggering. Surely there is more to it than this?

Omega HT Leads - Crombster
My Magnecore leads were around £130, however thats still a fairly high price for a set of leads though. I changed them to cure a mis-fire as well. Typicaly, i didn't need to as it was the DIS that had seen better days. On top of that the ECU was damaged and needed replaced as well. A very frustrating (& expensive) business that misfire!