05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - bazza82
Hello everyone,
I went to check the oil on my car today (2.0 TDI 140bhp DSG A3 with 56k miles) and there was a lot of oil pooled by the filler cap area. I am very worried that this could mean there is a major issue such as gasket or piston about to crop up. I have not noticed any over-heating even though I drive through central London everyday. From checking the dip stick it appears the oil is low even though I had it serviced in April 09.
When I got home today I let the car cool down and went to check it again for oil and there was a small bit of oil outside the filler cap again even after I had cleaned it. With the engine running I took out the dip stick and there was smoke coming out - I assume that is normal?
If anyone could shed some light or offer advice, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Brendan
05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - Roly93
Blocked crankcase breather somewhere ?
05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - doofer
Try a new filler cap, the seal could be failing.
Check the cam box breather pipes are clear.
05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - bathtub tom
What's its mileage, and history?

Edited by bathtub tom on 24/06/2009 at 13:24

05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - bazza82
Hi, thanks for the input. I bought a new cap for the oil today (£5.41 from Audi Chingford). I have changed it while at work so I won't know until I get home if it is that (heres hoping though).
The history of the car is:
2005 A3 2.0TDI Sport Auto/DSG
56,000 miles. I am the 2nd owner. It was a company car. The one thing that was worrying was that the service book was not stamped. Due to data protection and all that rubbish they would not tell me who or where it was serviced or who it belonged to previously. Long story short, I got a major service done and had everything changed. They said the car was in good condition and that it would not have been had it not been serviced.

Now, to sound stupid, the cam box breather pipes, are they easy to spot and clean or is it a garage job?
05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - Armitage Shanks {p}
Who are 'they' who won't give you the info on the servicing? SFAIK, if it has been serviced at an Audi dealer/franchise all the details will be on their computer and they can print them off for you without revealing personal details of the previous owner. If it really was a company car you'd only get the company details anyway, I would have thought. Let's hope the £5.41 fix is the one that works!
05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - bazz74
Hi Brendan.
Did the new oil filler cap solve the problem? The same thing is happening with my 20L TDI A4
Thanks
Dean
05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - Hamsafar
If smoke comes out the dipstick, then the problem is not the cap, a new cap may mask the problem for a while. As stated. It is the crankcase breather system which may need a new filter or unblocking.
05 2.0 Oil pooling from filler cap - DaleA3TDi
hi guys i have an A3 2.0Tdi sport with 50k on the clock doing the same thing smoking from oil cap accompanied by oil and an engine vibration when warm, could this be the same breather problem? im struggling to find the cam/crank breather pipes/filter to check and renew any help would be very appreciated thanks.