01 1.6 engine swap zetec - davehodge999
i have a 1.6 petrol ghia with no compression on 1 cylinder.i also have lying about an engine out of a 1.4 focus.does anyon know if this will be a straightforward swap or am i best finding another engine.is it worth stripping my 1.6 as somebody told me you cant rebuild them. thanks in advance dave
01 1.6 engine swap zetec - Robin the Technician
It's worth asking your local Ford dealer whether the heads on both engines are the same - they could be. I remember looong ago that the 1500 & 1750 leyland Maxi engine heads were identical. Even if its not, its worth taking the head off - it may only be a valve that needs replacing and far less time consuming than an engine change. Saying you can't rebuild engines is tosh - its just time consuming and in todays motor industry, time=money. Any dealer will tell you to fit a recon engine than rebuild because its less time consuming in the long run.

Hope this helps

01 1.6 engine swap zetec - Roly93
Saying you can't rebuild engines is tosh - its just time
consuming and in todays motor industry time=money. Any dealer will tell you to fit a
recon engine than rebuild because its less time consuming in the long run.

This is partly true as on the Focus Zetec engine, I dont think the bottom end of the engine is possible to rebuild. It is still possible however to change pistons/rings etc.
01 1.6 engine swap zetec - clewsy01
you should be able to swap them they are very simular. best of checking which gearboxes they used as there are two types in the IB5 and MTX and they are different, i.e. the ib5 you cannot check the gearbox oil etc. however they are both virtually the same. the engine style and size changes on the 1.8 and 2.0 versions as they are back to front with thing such as idle control valves in suilly places.
would a damaged/dropped valve give zero compression on one cylinder.it is burning oil aswell.
01 1.6 engine swap zetec - piston power
Yes and a misfire.
thanks for all the advice eveyone.looks like its burnt an exhaust valve will keep you updated .cheers dave