Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - daveyjp
X type estate 2.2 diesel auto SE.

We wanted something larger and considered Octavia, A4, A6, Legacy all estates.

Wife didn't want an Octavia, Legacy wasn't auto, A4 and A6 were both multitronic autos and both the revised A4 and A6 are too new for there to be much choice and spec of those available was pretty low rent.

So we looked at the Jag, very few and far between (only three within 100 miles of home and one of those had sold) but a local dealer was advertising one which looked the part.

One owner, 8 months old, 8,500 miles. SE spec so not much it doesn't have and sensible 17 inch wheels and softer suspension.

Only driven it from the dealership home but it's much quieter than the A3 and just wafts along. 70mph is about 1800 rpm.

Just need to RTFM now to learn all about it!

More reports as the miles stack up - I'll be doing about 1,000 next week so that should be a good test.
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - stunorthants26
You really should come here saying that a creaky old Jag is in anything other than a step down from the almighty Audi DSG, those hear no evil see no evil VAG fans will have their comebacks at the ready :-)

Look forward to further reports as its one of my dads favorite cars! Can I ask how much you paid?
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - Xtype
top car and good choice!
I have the 2.0D S, bit low on kit but it does the job and returns over 50mpg.
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - Avant
"Wife didn't want an Octavia...."

The story of a lot of men's lives! SWMBO was the same, but she loves her Mini Cooper enough not to drive mine very often (but when she does she has to admit she likes it - probably because it's a vRS and goes like a bomb).

But good luck with the X-type. When I tried one the main thing I didn't like was the clutch, a problem you won't have.
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - ifithelps
I really wanted an X-type, but lack of room in the pedal box for the clutch meant it had to be an auto, which meant it was a bit too much coin for me.

As the OP says, they waft along a treat, although the Jag might lack a bit of poke compared to his Audi, which with the 170 output engine sounds like it could be a rocket ship.

Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - LikedDrivingOnce
Did you consider a BMW 3 series touring? The 2 litre diesel has good claimed fuel economy, good torque, and the steptronic auto box is one of its best features.

Not really my cup of tea either, but it handles well, and is highly rated in some quarters.
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - JH
d
it's a good job they don't still put make/model/trim level/engine size/ anything else that takes their fancy on the boot these days! :-)
JH
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - MikeTorque
The A3 has a hard ride, the Jag floats along and is in a different class regarding refinement. One of my neighbours recently changed his newer motor for an 02 reg Jag, comfort & refinement being the priority.
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - El Hacko
one of my sons has a 15 month old Golf GTi dsg - driving spoilt by jerky starts, main dealer tried software update then announced it needs new g'box - at 15,000 miles
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - tintin01
I was reading Top Gear magazine in my local Sainsbury's and I think the X-type came top in a customer satisfaction article for reliability. Might even have been the JD Power survey, but I'm not sure because I put it back when I read the cover price.
Goodbye Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 SE DSG, hello...... - maz64
I was reading Top Gear magazine in my local Sainsbury's and I think the X-type
came top in a customer satisfaction article for reliability.

Sure it was Top Gear? I've just been presented with this month's edition as a Father's day present, and they're pretty uncomplimentary (TG Survey result 64/152).

As a special favour, if the OP wants to swap his terrible Jag estate with a nice reliable Y reg Focus estate, I'll consider it :-)
Unfortunately Focus I've done 1200 miles in the last 10 days (1100 on a holiday to West Wales) and its far from terrible!

Very comfortable - 2 hour drives go by in the blink of an eye. The engine is very quiet. When sat in it you are aware of a slight engine noise, but guessing what's under the bonnet is difficult, the auto box matches the car well. It doesn't hunt and changes are convenient for speed limits - i.e. 3rd to 4th is 30mph, 4th to 5th at 50 and 6th is reached at about 60 (after each of these changes the engine is then doing about 1500 rpm) - at 70 it's doing just 1750rpm. The suspension soaks up the bumps and undulations and on decent surfaces the OEM Pirellis give very little noise.

Autowipers and lights aren't as good as the Audi, but wipers have normal intermittent setting. Auto lights turned on on roads with tree shadows, but didn't come on in some tunnels where lighting wasn't too good.

Computer is showing 42 mpg average. On my first fill up I calculated brim to brim of 43, so computer appears to give an acurate representation.

It has developed a problem with on of the door locks which is to be sorted under warranty. An excellent Jag service centre in Haverfordwest did a fix, but this only lasted a couple of days and they didn't have a new part in stock.

So for now there will be no swap for a Focus.

BTW my Audi had a new mechatronic unit at about 18,000 miles.
To answer some questions raised:

Stu - car was on for £21,999. 10% off forecourt price wasn't difficult to get, plus years tax, service and a full tank. List price is nearly £30k, but heavy discounts on list are easily found.

Pedal box is tight - with the auto it's not an issue, but I could see me having a problem with a manual.

Never considered BMW - the interior of the 3 doesn't seem to offer much more space over the A3. The old A4 had the same problem, new one is slightly better.