When is a car not a car. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
A few months ago someone (DVD?) posted a series of test cases defining what constitutes a motor vehicle in UK law.

I've had no luck with the search engine. Can anyone point me towards it?

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
When is a car not a car. - M.M
Toad,

I can just imagine you lot poised in the office at lunch break.....

A shopping trolley, ofice seat, washing machine motor, a couple of batteries and loads of enthusiasm.....just waiting for the authority of DVD to go for the build and trials.

Have you tried the phrase "well my good friend DVD says..." on your friendly PC yet??

David W
Toad,
I can just imagine you lot poised in the office at
lunch break.....
A shopping trolley, ofice seat, washing machine motor, a couple of
batteries and loads of enthusiasm.....just waiting for the authority of DVD
to go for the build and trials.

Just don't know how we're gonna fit the sabres to the trolley wheels... ;-)
Have you tried the phrase "well my good friend DVD says..."
on your friendly PC yet??

Not yet. Will do though. Esp the camera/bag thing although I reckon DVD's got it sown up.

A non traffic rozzer mate made the comment: "Everything you ever see anyone do is illegal, it's just thinking of the right law" [1]

[1] Paraphrasing.

--
Parp, Parp!
When is a car not a car. - Jonathan {p}
A non traffic rozzer mate made the comment: "Everything you ever
see anyone do is illegal, it's just thinking of the right
law" [1]

How do you know Judge Dredd?

How do you know Judge Dredd?

How do you know we call him that?

--
Parp, Parp!
When is a car not a car. - Dwight Van Driver
Why do I get the feeling I am going to regret this Toad?

Motor vehicle is that which has two or more round spinning thingies on rubber, goes like stick and says Parp Parp. Often found on its back or side with a liking for hedge backs etc. (Frog Act 1888 S1)

Motor vehicle - means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads (Section 185 Road traffic Act 1988).

Intended or adapted is whether a reasonable person, looking at the vehicle and forming a view as to its general use would say the vehicle might well be used on a road (Chief Constable Avon & Somerset v Fleming 1987)

Burden of proof on proving is on the prosecution (Reader v Bunyard 1987)

Adapted means fit and apt for the purpose not altered so as to be apt (Maddox v Storer 1963)

So it can be seen that it could be a question of fact and there is much case law as to what is and what is not i.e. an Euclid yes because of its size can only travel from site to site on a road but a dumper truck has been held not to be.

DVD
When is a car not a car. - GJD
" ... whether a reasonable person ... "

DVD

That phrase comes up an awful lot in this sort of thing. Do you have contact details for said reasonable person? There's one or two things I'd like their opinion on.

GJD
When is a car not a car. - Dwight Van Driver
GJD

Bear in mind that legislation is written by the Legal Eagles who as PU has earlier stated are like impoverished old Plods so have to make a bob or three.

What is reasonable to them may well be and often is, unreasonable to thee and me.

DVD