General question on Toyota oil sludging - Tafia
Hi folks,

I have read many reports on Toyota engines sludging their oil and self destructing, mainly from the US where Toyota are involved in a class action with thousands of owners.

There may also be an issue with dual mass flywheels on the diesels.

I am thinking of buying a Toyota Avensis for its safety record but am concerned about the above.

Anyone have any information on this which applies in UK? Seems to be kept quiet over here.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/06/2009 at 19:42

General question on Toyota oil sludging - Toyota Red
I've seen the class action, but I've not read reports of a problem here. It may simply be the oil used in the states.

The 'car-by-car' breakdown should highlight it, but I'm not aware of a problem in the UK. Rest assured, comeone would have brought it up here if it were happening ;-)

You can always use a torch to have a peer down the oil filler hole- I presume if it were gunked up, it would be obvious.

Only problem with Toyota engines was a piston ring issue on early (~early 2000s) 1.6 VVT-i units leading to high oil consumption after about 40k miles, but I'm not sure if this engine was in the Avensis- worth checking.

The Avensis seems to have an enviable reliability record here.
General question on Toyota oil rings problem - Reveller
Hi, my Toyota, less than 70K miles. Oil ring bunged up. Oil goes through top two rings/ burns out the exhaust/ runs out of oil, gauges appear in the bores. Toyota service said warranty on this failure extended to 7 years or 120K miles, but guess what? My Toyota registered 2nd June 2002. Loads of Toyotas have apparantly been done, but because mine is just over 7 years, not covered. Cost- new half engine plus labour- more than 2.5K pounds. I feel hard done by- only 70K miles is way below expected life. Engine now estimated to consume around 1 litre per 1000 miles- (garage estimate) even with gently driving. Is this fair (Toyota have been good extending warranty), or is this just Toyota ducking the cost of a general recall? Car serviced at Toyota all its life, so why didn't they de-gunged the oil ring to keep it clear? No, they just sat back and let it happen. What do the experts think? Anyone get a result from Toyota? If so how?