What is this thing in bumper? - movilogo
In many cars I see a small cap of something on bumpers. What is this for?

I have uploaded an image here in case you wonder what I'm talking off.

tinyurl.com/m724ql
What is this thing in bumper? - Hamsafar
Behind there is a threaded hole into which you screw the towing hook.
What is this thing in bumper? - movilogo
Why it is on right hand side? If it's on kerb side for continent, should it not be moved to left for UK?

What is this thing in bumper? - Steve Pearce
Why would it matter which side it was on?
What is this thing in bumper? - welshlad
if only car manufacturers would give the owners of cars a small book full of details about the cars, maybe with little diagrams and instructions on how to do things etc etc, they could call it a handbook or something like that!!
What is this thing in bumper? - Old Navy
if only car manufacturers would give the owners of cars a small book full of
details about the cars maybe with little diagrams and instructions on how to do things
etc etc they could call it a handbook or something like that!!

You dont actually think that people would read them do you?
What is this thing in bumper? - bell boy
You dont actually think that people would read them do you?
>

>>>>>> ive known people remove them from the car after the sale was completed so they can be used as a sales aid for the next car
What is this thing in bumper? - gmac
they could call it a handbook or something like that!!

Is that so it could fit in a Handschuhfach rather than calling it a glovebook to fit in the glovebox ? :)
What is this thing in bumper? - Dynamic Dave
Why it is on right hand side? If it's on kerb side for continent should it not be moved to left for UK?

Would make towing difficult if it's on the left for some cars, and on the right for others. Not all cars stay in the country they were registered in.
What is this thing in bumper? - Simon
Why it is on right hand side? If it's on kerb side for continent, should it not be moved to left for UK?

No, that would make life unnecessarily complicated as it would involve redesigning part of the car and manufacturing a different bumper for different countries. This one the one 'design' fits all.

In my opinion it makes little difference to which side it is located anyway.
What is this thing in bumper? - Andrew-T
I always understood that the eye was for lashing a vehicle down on ferries, etc., rather than towing - though I suppose that is another possible use. Better if it was central in that case.
What is this thing in bumper? - Old Navy
It is offset as that is where the strong point at the end of the body rail is. Ferries? Your user manual is different to mine!
What is this thing in bumper? - stunorthants26
The towing hook on our Kia Picanto was on the opposite side to the rear one on my dads Astra that we used to tow it with, so I dont think there is a generic side, it depends on the car, much the same as what side the fuel filler is on.
What is this thing in bumper? - rtj70
I think others are correct in stating it will be on the side where it can be securely attached to. With a rigid tow bar I am not sure the side matters that much.
What is this thing in bumper? - bathtub tom
There's a difference between lashing eyes (ferries) and towing points, although some may be common.
What is this thing in bumper? - Bill Payer
I'vw always wondered - why do towing eyes have left handed threads?
Why do towing eyes have left handed threads?

I didn't know they did. But if so, I presume it might be to resist any torque from a right-hand-twist cable being used to tow? If all such cables are right-hand, of course?
Your user manual is different to mine!

ON - I have looked at the handbooks for my 207 and 205, and both talk about towing, not lashing. But quite correctly they insist on a rigid towbar ...
What is this thing in bumper? - bell boy
if anybody uses a towing eye to tow a car or pull one onto a transporter then i have a word of warning,you must make sure that you screw it on fully,you will need the car wheel brace to do this
failure can be fatal as if you dont the eye can pull off the thread and hit anybody within hitting distance, i nearly killed someone rushing a rta on a vw about 8 years ago and it nearly went pear shaped
What is this thing in bumper? - ifithelps
Lashing eyes tend to be loops of metal rod on the underside of the car.

They will rip out if any attempt is used to tow with them.

I'm sure gb will know better, but cars are often secured with webbing 'longways' over the tread of the tyres.

I've towed and been towed with a chain main times over the years and the position of the towing/towed eye makes no difference.