95 1.9 Testing stop solenoid on a TD - oldnotbold
I suspect that the replacement stop solenoid I recently fitted is faulty. The car has not started since it was fitted. No fuel reaches the injectors, and I know fuel is reaching the injector pump (Bosch).

I have removed the solenoid, and gripped the body in the jaws of a connected -ve jump lead, and when applying +ve to the head there is no noise. Fair to assume it's not working?

Edited by Pugugly on 12/06/2009 at 20:40

95 1.9 Testing stop solenoid on a TD - ianjoh
I reckon you are right, there should be a click from the solenoid when power is applied and you should aslo see a small spark if the coil is not open circuit.
You could double check with a multimeter if you have one available?
95 1.9 Testing stop solenoid on a TD - Peter.N.
If you refit it without the plunger the engine should run, does sound as though its faulty. Measure the resistance, it should only be a few hundred ohms, if it reads in the Megohm range the coil is open curcuit.
95 1.9 Testing stop solenoid on a TD - Number_Cruncher
>>If you refit it without the plunger the engine should run

If you take the plunger out, be very sure that you can stop the engine again. Stalling an engine with a manual gearbox is easy enough, but, if the OP's car is an automatic, they might struggle!

This is one of those events where I would definitely have a full CO2 extinguisher by my side.

95 1.9 Testing stop solenoid on a TD - 659FBE
The Bosch EP-VE pumps have a manual shutoff lever fitted for PSA applications. You can stop any car diesel at idle by placing the palm of your hand over the air intake - assuming the configuration of the intake scoop allows this - otherwise you may have to separate the air trunking somewhere.

If you are testing a loose solenoid, apart from a resistance check you will need to fit the plunger for it to make any sound at all when powered up. Bosch solenoids are usually reliable. (Lucas ones leak fuel, then fail open circuit).