What's your average speed? - ifithelps
The CC3 has now covered more than 3,600m and in that time I've not reset the average speed indicator on the cruise conrtrol.

It tells me my average speed is 33mph.

What's yours?

What's your average speed? - Happy Blue!
Less than 20mph
What's your average speed? - Alby Back
Just been to check and the answer really is 42. Thanks for all the fish.
What's your average speed? - Bagpuss
114.5 km/h since getting the car 5 months ago according to the trip computer.
What's your average speed? - Dynamic Dave
Usually the fuel comp says 28mph.
What's your average speed? - ifithelps
Wide open spaces in the North East 1, Over-crowded North West 0. :)

What's your average speed? - turbo11
42 mph average over 4000 miles on my Mazda5
What's your average speed? - Cliff Pope
Mine spends 21 hours out of 24 sitting in the garage or parked at work, so the average speed is probably about 2 mph.
What's your average speed? - SpamCan61 {P}
On a typical tankful of commuting with a bit of Dad's free taxi service thrown in my average is around 42 mph, rising to 45 if it's just commuting.
What's your average speed? - RobertyBob
I reset the computer on my 2.0l petrol Mondeo each 1st January.

Currently showing 38mph average speed, 41.5mpg after 4400 miles.

(Don't start on about how inaccurate fuel computers are...)
What's your average speed? - Old Navy
My average is 27mph for mainly around town use over the last 600 miles.

Could I suggest that the people saying their average is over thousands of miles, check their user manuals, as my Focus only averages over the last 600 miles (1000KM).
"Could I suggest that the people saying their average is over thousands of miles, check their user manuals, as my Focus only averages over the last 600 miles (1000KM). "

I have just checked the manual for my '03 Mondeo; it doesn't mention any distance over which the average is calculated.

Edited by RobertyBob on 10/06/2009 at 11:59

What's your average speed? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Only 35mph in the Hyundai coupe (sorry, hatchback), which is pretty typical on my commute with road works and 50mph 'biker crash zones'.
What's your average speed? - zookeeper
and the point of this exercise? or just an ego booster cuz ive got a clever computer on board?
and the point of this exercise? or just an ego booster cuz ive got a
clever computer on board?

>>
If you feel deprived you can buy an aftermarket one or a fancy satnav. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 10/06/2009 at 13:37

What's your average speed? - zookeeper
If you feel deprived you can buy an aftermarket one or a fancy satnav. :-)

no tar, old tar!
What's your average speed? - craig-pd130

My old Passat's 2nd computer read-out used to average over 100 hours driving, it was very very rarely above 33mph.

My highest ever average speed on a single journey was a twilight run from Manchester to Chertsey, the computer showed 69mph door to door (almost zero traffic, cruising at the car's sweet spot of 2,700rpm in 6th).

If you can achieve a point-to-point average over 70mph in the UK you're REALLY motoring these days (and putting the driving license under serious risk ...)
What's your average speed? - Andrew-T
It doesn't mention any distance over which the average is calculated ...

Cars probably differ, but my Pug 207 accumulates miles and litres until the reset button is used - could be thousands of miles. Of course the longer you wait, the less the averages change, so you learn more if you reset every few weeks.
What's your average speed? - Andrew-T
About 36-37mph. That seems slow, but it's probably about 50% A-roads, 30% motorway and 20% urban.
What's your average speed? - Happy Blue!
Whereas my sub 20mph is probably 5% city centre, 80% urban/suburban and the rest (15%) fast A roads or motorway.
What's your average speed? - Pizza man
when i'm working my average speed on a good night is about 12mph, this includes innumerable occasions sat in shop waiting for delivers....actual driving probably around 34mph (almost all deliveries involve about 2 miles on 40mph/50mph dual carriageways).

"f you can achieve a point-to-point average over 70mph in the UK you're REALLY motoring these days (and putting the driving license under serious risk ...) "

I once averaged gosport to somewhere in yorkshire at 86mph in my wifes volvo 850 2.5 estate one sunday morning including answering calls of nature on 2 occasions..coming back we averaged 60mph.......and used a lot less fuel.

Edited the gory details of why you stopped...!!!. smokie, Moderator

Edited by smokie on 10/06/2009 at 16:12

What's your average speed? - Mick Snutz
7.5mph.

I got a bicycle.
What's your average speed? - Rattle
If that includes stopping at lights than the my mean average would probably be around 15mph.

It is also very very rare that I exceed 30mph due to the roads I drive on.
What's your average speed? - bintang
35 mph for Hyundai i30 Comfort. Surprised me as I do very little local motoring, mostly medium to long range. I expected at least 40.
OK, help me out with the maths here.

As I said further up this thread, this morning my computer was indicating an average speed of 38mph since it was reset 4400 miles ago. This afternoon, after a 90 mile run up the M3/A3 and back it is indicating an average of 42mph.

This does not seem right to me. Say I averaged 60mph for the 90 miles this afternoon; (i.e. theoretical 1.5hrs running).

This morning :-
4400 / 38 = 115.8 theoretical (but unlikely) hours running.

This afternoon :-
(4400 + 90) / (115.8 + 1.5) = 38.3mph average speed.

As I say, the computer is now indicating 42mph.

Clearly, my new average cannot be indicating correctly over the 4490 miles since the computer was reset. It must be over some shorter distance. Perhaps, like Old Navy's Focus, the average is calculated over a shorter fixed distance despite no mention of this in the Mondeo's handbook. What would that fixed distance be?

As it would be a rolling fixed distance I don't think I can calculate my true average this afternoon. Or, indeed, the average speed for the 90 miles that have now dropped off the beginning of the fixed distance (not that I need to).

My brain now hurts :-)
My brain now hurts :-)

The reason mine doesnt is that I dont care what my averages are and dont check them.
As long as my fuel consumption is ball park OK, I am happy.

Edited by Old Navy on 10/06/2009 at 19:33

What's your average speed? - VR6
Always makes me laugh when i drive my dads yaris - its ave speed is normally about 14 mph.
What's your average speed? - Optimist
What's the point of having an indication of average speed, anyway?

What's your average speed? - Pugugly
dunno - I don't care enough to even look !
What's your average speed? - jbif
dunno - I don't care enough to even look ! >>

I guess it is the same with many other threads discussing what seems like trivia to the likes of you & me & Optimist & zookeeper. Ditto train, plane, and bus spotters!

What's your average speed? - Number_Cruncher
>>As I say, the computer is now indicating 42mph.

Assume N is the distance averaged over

(N+90) / ((N/38)+1.5) = 42

Multiplying both sides by ((N/38)+1.5) gives

N + 90 = (42 * N/38)+63

Re-arranging to get N on one side gives

(42 * N/38) - N = 90 -63

As N = 38 * N / 38,

(4/38) * N = 27

N = 27*38/4 = 256

It looks like the computer is avaeraging over your last 250 miles or so.
Thanks NC. All is not lost, I actually understood your calculation. :-)

Like others I don't find the average speed calculation particularly useful; but if I have the feature then I like to know how it works.
What's your average speed? - old crocks
5000 miles in one year. That's 0.57 mph. ;-)
What's your average speed? - Alby Back
I suppose you could, if really bored, take your average speed, if it is more or less constant and divide it into the total number of miles you have driven in your life and come up with a reasonable stab at how many hours/days/months etc you have spent driving.

Like I say, only if you thought that was interesting.........

Edit - mine's 2.997 years by the way.......

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 11/06/2009 at 13:34

What's your average speed? - Dipstick
In similar vein I this morning pulled up the "interesting stats" from the dear Lord kill me now feature of the Garmin satnav I have, and it told me that since the last reset two months ago, I've done 2400 odd miles, averaged 27.1 mph, and spent 90 something hours moving and 14 hours sat sitting going nowhere. And that's just in the car.
What's your average speed? - Stuartli
Any driver's average speed is always far less than they believe or experience in day to day motoring.
What's your average speed? - perro
27 MPH ... that's to & fro work = 28 miles per day.
What's your average speed? - TurboD
sadly, my Mondy 2l petrol records 34.9 mpg average, amd that is about right , over the the last whenever. I do not bother to reset. As for average speed, it is manky , at 44mph.
I never go above 95mph, how do you get your results?
Coast?
What's your average speed? - the swiss tony
Ave speed 25mph, ave fuel consumption 29.9mpg, not too bad for an auto petrol mondy mk2
What's your average speed? - Clanger
17.7 mph; I've just raided the car fridge for a crafty Mars bar :-)

mostly urban/suburban pottering from garden to garden with the trailer on. The occasional blast up the A1 for a couple of miles at 60mph doesn't seem to affect the average at all.
What's your average speed? - Bromptonaut
Neither car has anything more sophisticted than an odometer. Occasional trips on French motorways with the Garmin Etrex running on the dash suggest a moving average of 100kph requires some hard running between the toll stops.
What's your average speed? - perro
Just covered 76 miles inc. some rush hour stuff = average speed 32MPH & 44MPG.
Almera 1.8 petrol auto.