91 2.0 Big end shells. - skreech
Has anyone done The big end shells on this make of car before. The main question is can they be done with the engine in place and by removing the sump for access. And is the job fairly straight forward as i am thinking of buying one. Only prob is it needs the shells done. It is a 170bhp Japan import. Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 05/06/2009 at 08:50

91 2.0 Big end shells. - Number_Cruncher
In my experience, modern engines very rarely just need big end shells replacing - there's almost certainly more wrong with this engine. How do you know it needs new big end bearings?

91 2.0 Big end shells. - Peter.N.
I would imagine it probably needs a crankshaft regrind as well.
How do you know it needs new big end bearings?

The engine is making a knocking sound. Also the person selling has advertised the car as needing big end bearings. It may be will need more work. I suppose the only way to find out for sure would be to strip down the engine block and have a look.
91 2.0 Big end shells. - Number_Cruncher
>>Also the person selling has advertised the car as needing big end bearings.

They would say that, wouldn't they.

The car needs to be seriously cheap, because, you should be budgeting for major engine work, and bits for Toyotas engines aren't cheap.

91 2.0 Big end shells. - Peter.N.
...or a secondhand engine.
91 2.0 Big end shells. - jc2
Where did the horsepower figure come from?There is no homolgation/certification for engine performance in Japan and some of the figures claimed are "imaginative!!!".
91 2.0 Big end shells. - Lud
If the big end bearings have got noisy the crankshaft will be damaged. It will need regrinding or 'polishing' at least. And if that has happened, chances are there will be other damage or gross wear too. Perhaps metal particles all through the lubrication system, stepped cylinder bores, heaven knows what.

A Lada 1200 or Marina A series in this state is a relatively straightforward rebuild, but I wouldn't attempt anything like that with an MR2. Unless you know where there's an engine or competent engine builder for one of these, forget it.
ok thanks . I will leave it well alone.
91 2.0 Big end shells. - TurboD
I have had experience with an import MR2 engine, the turbo engine.
You need to take it out with the gearbox, it takes and lot of time and effort.
My lad's problem was that the pistons's lands were braking, proably due to the incorrect fuel grades in England.
So if you take this one, make sure you make a daft offer, and price in the cost of repairs.