Shakey Wheel - Andy22
Help, i've got a 406 and recently had some remould tyres on as i was thick with cars, but i have now learn't my lessons. Over 60 upto 70 i had vibrations through my steering wheel. It started a few months ago, 1 month ago i needed new pads and discs, still had the problem, got wheels balanced still had the problem.

On the weekend i was told i had one distorted tyre, i bit the bullet and got 4 new tyres, 2 capitols on the front (made by continental), and 2 lassa's on the back (made by bridgestone i believe), so £180 for all 4 so they weren't cheap, and obviously got all 4 wheels balanced, done at tyrespot. But i still get a shakey wheel it ususally goes for 5 secs and comes back for 5 secs constantly. plus tracking is spot on.

So has the wheel balancing not been done correctly or are tyres pressures involved or is something else wrong?

A car like this shouldn't have these problems.
Shakey Wheel - Dynamic Dave
Have you had the tyres balanced again after they had been on the car for a week or so? I always get mine rebalanced after either a couple of hundred miles or a week later, as I find they go out of balance slightly as they bed themselves onto the rims.
Shakey Wheel - Mark (RLBS)
have you checked the wheel bearings ?

Is the vibration different depending on whether you are going in a straight line or around corners ?
Shakey Wheel - M.M
Andy,

If you bought these tyres together I'm amazed they fitted different makes back and front.

You have bought budget tyres and in my experience they suffer more tread deviation faults than a major brand. They may not be distorted as your old tyre was but they can still suffer tread quirks that make them vibrate even if balanced OK in "free air" on the machine.

I have lost count of the times I've resolved such a problem by simply taking the below standard tyre off and swapping it with the spare just to prove the fault to the customer.

Oddly enough the last time was this weekend and I'm pretty sure the make was a Lassa!

Many tyre dealers/fitters will not get it into their heads that just because a tyre is balanced on the machine it will then be perfect on the car in loaded running conditions.

As Mark says it could also be wheel bearings......also drveshafts, shock absorbers or other problems.
David W
Shakey Wheel - Andy22
I have noticed an improvement last night when i increased my front tyre pressures t0 36 psi from 33psi.

Still there a quite a bit though, i will try it round a bend though as i haven't checked that yet.

These tyres are made by quality manufacturers, £45 each considering a P6000 is £55 each i really don't class these as budget tyres, i'm sure you know more than me though.

incidently its a high mileage 406 and i've just spent over £700 on other issues like air con, radiator, cambelt, tyres, full exhaust, and at this point in time i would NEVER buy another peugoet or high mileage car!

anyone else feel the same?
Shakey Wheel - smokie
Andy

IMHO high mileage is often the best. At least you 1) got the car cheap (?) and 2) know that the parts you have replaced should be OK for a while. And note that some of the parts you mention are "consumables" anyway - tyres, exhaust, cambelt - these will ALWAYS cost you, no matter what age/mileage the car is. Just part of running costs...

You can spend a lot more on lower mileage and still end up with very large repair bills.
Shakey Wheel - Andy22
Yeah thats a good point smokie, it's just the fact i've had to fork out and i've only had the car 9 months, then again i'm new to this game, but i'm learning all the time. Really i'm comparing it to owning a brand new car.

But have you or anyone else heard of peugoets being a bit dodgy, it must be just me, in comparison to say a nissan.
Shakey Wheel - M.M
Andy,

Not saying these tyres are rubbish, but they are aimed at a budget market. Lassa for example are usually made in Turkey by a factory that Bridgestone have invested in. I have seen some poorly moulded Lassa's with obvious tread imperfections.

Regarding a high mileage car the problem often comes because the car's are sold with quite a few lurking faults that appear in the first 6-12 months of ownership. If the cars are bought cheap then put through a workshop straight away to bring them up to standard they usually are fine.

As an example I've just assisted with the purchase of a similar vehicle. Despite it being on a retail site with a full years MOT is was outstanding a major service, the ECU controlled idle speed was all over the place, the front discs and pads shot, radiator about to fail etc.

As all these faults have been brought to the new owners attention and they were happy with the low price we have completed/planned all this work so it is budgeted for. Had they just bought the thing and started running it with the idea all was well they would have been in for some expensive shocks.

David W