Advice Please. Re: Fit for Purpose. - pda
Last Saturday we traded in the Fazer for an XJR from a Bike Dealer 60 miles from where we live in Cambs.
It rode home perfectly. We didn't use it at all on Sunday but on Monday my other ( better?) half rode it to Addenbrookes in Cambridge and then on down to Dagenham.
On leaving Dagenham he got as far as Rainham and oil was pouring out from behind the crankcase around the clutch slave cylinder area.
He phoned the Dealer who pointed out that recovery wasn't covered under the waranty, so we called the AA and they got my other half, and the XJR home, and then collected it the following morning and took it back to the Dealer in Market Harborough.
It hadn't even used it's first full tank of petrol.

We did a bit of research and have found some complaints online about this particular Dealers reputation ( cart and horse, I know!)

However we decided to ask for the deal to be cancelled, the return of the Fazer plus the £700 paid on top for the XJR, on the basis that we have now lost faith in both the bike and dealer and it wasn't fit for purpose.

The Dealer has refused and states that it was just a badly fitting oil filter O ring that they had fitted at the pre sale service.

We have a stand off at the moment until we get home at the weekend and have to go and fetch one of the bikes back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's not easy to research this from a lappy in a lorry cab after a 2.30am start!

Pat

Left in General Discussion as it won't really get the audience in Bikers' Caff

Edited by Pugugly on 03/06/2009 at 20:06

Advice Please. Re: Fit for Purpose. - Tron
Found these details here:

Sales of goods act fact sheet.

tinyurl.com/5gxl38

and

Which? Advice here: tinyurl.com/ohxdd9

Start to write up events so you don't forget details too.

Hope these help.

Edited by Tron on 03/06/2009 at 20:14

Advice Please. Re: Fit for Purpose. - bell boy
im with the dealer on this
ok he fitted an o ring badly
but hes accepted that and is repairing it pronto
i dont offer a recovery service for cars i sell either
i really think you just had a bit of bad luck and you should give him the chance to sort it
Thanks Tron, very helpful links there!

With respect Bellboy, I am capable of fitting an oil filter correctly and realise the importance of seating the O Ring.
A warranty that requires the servicing to be done by these mechanics doesn't inspire confidence.
Leaking oil on a motorbike is far more serious than on a car in terms of grip and staying upright.
Bikers ride to the limits because we love the adrenalin rush, and a momentary doubt about the basic state of the bike is not what you need to inspire confidence when knee touches floor on a bend!

I suspect a bodge job has been undertaken but am at a loss as to how to prove it.
Can we demand an independent report from another independent mechanic at our own cost?

Pat
sorry pda but a bike like a car is a washing machine with different bits on as far as im concerned
you never said you dont trust the capabilities of the supplying dealer you said you had fallen out with the bike
2 very different things in my opinion
>>>>>However we decided to ask for the deal to be cancelled, the return of the Fazer plus the £700 paid on top for the XJR, on the basis that we have now lost faith in both the bike and dealer and it wasn't fit for purpose.<<<<<<

I think I did!

And if I had bought a washing machine then I would certainly have expected it to complete it's first wash cycle without breaking down!

Pat
dont get me wrong i really sympathise with you i really do but you need to be pragmatic
the dealer has your old bike
he has your cash
he has your new bike
you want things to return to as they were
if you explain this wrong to the dealer or dont want to pick another bike then depending on his attitude he could make things very drawn out and painful
times are tough out there he may have spent your cash to pay the rates bill
he might be going bust
he might want to bend over backwards and accomodate all your fears
all i can say is i know lots of traders that wouldnt think twice about kippering you up
and i know lots of traders that really would do their best to help you out
only you know the situation

i repeat as the law is its a s/h component you have to give him the opportunity to right his wrong if he gets it wrong then you have good reason to take it further

yes if you wish you can have an independant inspection but be aware once you do then you are on the full road to court,no turning back

just my opinions mind
Thanks Bellboy, that just the sort of facts I wanted, and I really do mean that!
I'm in Scotland at the moment and the other half is in Cornwall ( sometimes I hate this job when things go wrong!).
I'm off to bed now for a think as to what to do next:)
We both get just 2 days at home at the weekend to sort this sort of thing out, and it gets to be a hassle you just don't want:)
Pat

Edited by pda on 03/06/2009 at 22:01

Advice Please. Re: Fit for Purpose. - SteVee
How do you know that those same mechanics haven't had a good look at the Fazer ?
If you get it back, you may discover problems and there is no hope of getting the dealer to fix those problems.

I would inspect the XJR carefully on its return and then ride it carefully for a tankful or so (I know it's excellent riding conditions at the moment :-) )

Problems occur in all workshops, I hope the dealer has got it right this time.
That worries me too SteeVee, so whichever bike we get back on Saturday morning is going straight on Ebay:)

We've found a very nice GSX 1400 just around the corner and a private sale as well!

Pat