98 1.6 How is the bottom pulley held on? - shadyarea
A friend has just bought a 1.6 with the zetec engine and asked if i would change the cam belt.Without a haynes handy i would like to know if the pully is held in position with a key and bolt or like my 1.6 focus which is just the bolt which is a pain at the end to tighten.

Edited by Webmaster on 03/06/2009 at 21:08

98 1.6 How is the bottom pulley held on? - freman
The bottom pulley is located onto the crankshaft by a key.
It is retained by a shouldered bolt with an 18mm A/F head tightened to a torque of 115 NM (85 lbft)
Watch the timing marks on the pulley as there are 2 of them. In DoR(clockwise) it is the 2nd. notch to align with the mark on the sump.
Also it is useful to similarly mark the timing sprocket to save keep replacing the pulley to check timing.
It is also better to loosen the 4 bolts on the W/Pump pulley before removing the auxiliary drive belt as it stops the pulley moving in the confined space.
Also make a sketch of the auxiliary belt run before removal as it goes all round the houses
Lastly last but not least " Best of British luck" you'll need it. I know , I've done mine twice, the last time having got it all together I discovered I'd put the old one back so it was back to square one making it 3 times!!!!
Thanks for the reply i thought it was held on by a key same as the mk1 and mk2
mondeo's i owned yrs ago but was not sure.My 1.6 focus does not have the key on the crank the 1.8 and 2litres do.Without the key it makes tightening the bolt more difficult cause the pulley relies on the bolt being ultra tight and you need to lock the ring gear to hold the crank.
98 1.6 How is the bottom pulley held on? - freman
Ok shadyarea. BTW Its not a good idea to change just the cambelt on these especially on a car of unknown history, as the pulleys have been known to shatter.
Also if you buy the Ford kit they include an instruction booklet which is quite good. It also includes the pulley tensioning spring details which may not have been fitted previously. Also the Gates kit includes the spring etc but only a poor leaflet on fitting instructions.

Yes i was changing the lot kit is £47 at my local factors.Have changed a few in my time I did have a pulley break up on my mk2 mondeo was lucky, started to sound noisey switched off got a tow home stripped down belt was just starting to fray on the split plastic pulley