99 1.8 Heater fan won't work on highest setting - fredblogs
Hi,

I have a Focus 1.8 tddi. I noticed the other day that the heater fan will only work on positions 1,2 and 3. It will not work on the highest setting. This is the case with both the air conditioning on and off. Every thing else (heat, a/c, etc.) seems to work fine.

I'm sure that this is something fairly straight forward but I don't know what, and just wondered if anyone knew what is causing this. Thanks!
99 1.8 Heater fan won't work on highest setting - banter
probably the heater resister overheated due to polen filter needs changing if you have a ruit in past threads you'll find detailed how to mend instructions
99 1.8 Heater fan won't work on highest setting - bell boy
last time i had this problem was all the speeds had failed
it was the switch had gone due to too much current buns
if you take the fascia out where the switch is you will see that the switch does indeed come out,unfortunately ford want to sell you the whole kit shebang unless my dealer was being obstroporusk,anyway dont fit a ka as they work the wrong way round you need a focus one (breaker maybe if ford was not talking with forked tongue)
99 1.8 Heater fan won't work on highest setting - bathtub tom
In my experience, the resistors are there for the lower speeds only. The highest speed is usually a straight feed.

Sorry, not very helpful, but I wouldn't start by replacing resistors.

ps. Did you retrieve your key from under the bonnet?

Edited by bathtub tom on 01/06/2009 at 20:56

99 1.8 Heater fan won't work on highest setting - fredblogs
Thank you for your advice about the fan.

After a while trying to reach the key from under the car (which never would have been successful) I gave up and called a locksmith, who opened the bonnet in all of about 10 seconds. I will definitely not shut the key under the bonnet again.