08 2.5 Wrong tyre size fitted (registered late 07) - kevkdg
Hi,

Just picked up a used new shape mazda 6 2.5 SL with 18" alloys and 13,000 miles on the clock.

On the journey home I noticed that the speedometer didn't tally with my Sat Nav (speedo suggested I was doing 10mph faster than the sat nav on the motorway). Also, there was some vibrations through the steering wheel, from past experience due to wheel balancing being slightly out which is easily resolved.

So, when I got home I thought I'd check the tyres and size before taking is to Mazda to get the speedo checked and front wheels balance checked.

The stock tyres (according to the Owners Manual) would have been 225/45R18 91W giving a profile of 101.25mm, but the tyres now fitted are 225/40R18 88W giving a profile of 90mm. This would account for the speedo error as the circumference of the wheel and tyre combination is now less.

My concern is around the safety of this and whether it affects handling, suspension, steering etc. Also, from an insurance point of view are these tyres legal?

The owers manual states that tyres are matched to the chasis and replacement tyres should be of the same type and size.

The speed rating from the owners manual is W which matches, but the load rating is also different, should be 91 and is now 88 (not sure this is an issue though as due to the lower profile)

Can you let me have your thoughts please?

Edited by rtj70 on 31/05/2009 at 23:21

07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - Simon
I would have thought with a mileage of 13,000 miles then it would still be sitting on the same tyres that it left the factory with. Are you 100% sure that these aren't the orignal tyres as fitted by Mazda?
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - adverse camber
In cynic mode I would be wondering if you have the correct wheels - has the dealer swapped with another vehicle?
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - rtj70
And don't forget his speedo will never read 100% accurate. Depending on speed the 10% difference noticed be about right. Do a forum search and you'll find plenty of discussion on this.
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - jc2
I can remember buying a s/h car from a dealer and telling him I was not happy with the tyres;by the time I collected it,all the wheels had been swapped with other vehicles on the forecourt.

Edited by jc2 on 31/05/2009 at 17:49

07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - kevkdg
Hi,

Cheers for the replies.... The tyres appear to be a budget make.... Kenda Kaiser

tinyurl.com/l6jjkv (link to Rotation UK)

I believe mazda fit Dunlop tyres to this vehicle in the factory.

The alloys are 18" mazda alloys, look identical to the ones in the brochure, and seem to be the correct ones for the Mazda 6 2.5 SL.

Te Dealer was not a mainstream Mazda Dealer, but a private dealership.

I'm not sure why all 4 tyres have what appears to have been changed. Only reason I can think is that the previous owner made a decision that he wanted lower profile tyres and got them changed.

All 4 look really new, certainly don't look like they have done 13,000 miles.

My question is around the safety, legalality, performance, suspension, steering on having slightly lower profile tyres on the car. I fuly expect the speedo to suffer..

Want to know if it might damage the car etc?

Edited by rtj70 on 31/05/2009 at 23:22

07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - injection doc
I would be very concerned at 13k if all 4 tyres have ben changed. I would suspect the car has covered a higher mileage than displayed as the rears should be fine for 30-40K. I would of expected the fronts to be nearly finnished at 13k, some may achive 18k if driven like a nun.
Replacement tyres is a trick for covering up a car with a hair cut & why fit a budget tyre to a late vehicle.
Does it have original factory pads front & rear & what sort of wear ?
Have you checked the spare?
Whats the condition of the pollen filter ? has it been changed & if not is it black? another sign its done more miles than displayed
Hi,

It was owned by Mazda UK from registration in Nov 2007 and managed by Paragon Fleet Solutions in Oxfordshire on mazda's behalf.

I called Paragon before I bought it and they said they relinquished it to Arnold Clark Mazda in Aberdeen in August 2008 with 7,900 miles on the clock.

Arnold Clark serviced it and sold it in Nov 2008 with 8,500 miles... Also confirmed by the electronic service record. So, if the mileage is correct to this point which it must be then it did 5k in six months which sounds about right.

The previous owner traded it in for a BMW at a BMW dealership, he had private plates on the vehcile and the BMW dealership confirmed this, plus the private plates are now registered to a BMW, but as the BMW delaership only sell used BMW's the car was sold on to the dealer I got it from.

To be honest I think the mileage is spot on as I did my research beforehand.

If like you say the fronts would have been knackered at around 13k then maybe the previous owner just changed all 4 tyres..... who knows.... maybe he wanted lower profile ones?

I would contact the previous owner but on the V5 his name is still there but the address is that of the BMW dealership, apparently common practice when a dealership deals with the paperwork of getting the private plates switched, they change the address to themselves to get the paperwork.

It is a mystery why it has these tyres.... but they are a lower profile by 5% than the specified ones in the owners handbook.

Need to know what this means?
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - Hamsafar
They could have been slashed or stolen, or swapped for ones on another car. Maybe yours had a different design of wheel fitted from new and someone may have said something like "I will buy this Mazda if you can swap the wheels for the ones on that one." (yours)
just checked.. they have 7mm of tread, both front and rear.

Can anyone answer whether the lower profile will cause issues?
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - Hamsafar
My main concern would be the insurers or loss assessors making a fuss if they became aware.
Yeah...... Basically I want to know whether they are still legal, safe and do not negatively affect the cars handling/ cause damage.

At the end of the day the width and radius is the same, the speed rating is the same but the profile is lower. i can live with the speedo being slightly out.

Do I have any leg to stand on with the dealer.......... This was not a private sale.
I have a Mazda6 albeit a 143bhp diesel but it does have 360Nm torque from 2000rpm. It is on the original tyres at 22,000 miles. They need replacing in 1-2000 miles.

I assumed your 07 car was in fact the 2.3 engine which is 166PS/207Nm torque. But in the text you mention new shape which came out in 2008... so it's an 08 car isn't it?

So if a 2.5 4-cyl Mazda6 it makes little sense all tyres replaced at less than 13,000 miles for wear. The rears would not have gone for sure. And as I say the fronts on mine are going to last close to 24,000 miles. Okay they are only 16" wheels but my car and your will have DSC.

I also wondered at first if it was the MPS (hence tyre wear). Do you want one of the mods to edit the subject to reflect the correct car?

Edited by rtj70 on 31/05/2009 at 21:42

If you use this tyre size calculator you will see there is a 3.48% change in tyre diameter and that site recommends a max of 2.5%.

www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

I'd go back to the supplying dealer ASAP.
Hi,

It is the 08 model, but mine was one of the first made and registered in Nov 2007. If it makes more sense to ammend the year to 08 for clarity then how do I get that done?

I have emailed the dealer I bought it from...... not sure what they'll do if anything.... Will give them a call tomorrow.

So I guess the question is whether or not I have to replace all 4 tyres from a safety, legal and performance point of view!??

If the dealer I bought it from didn't put these tyres on then the previous owner must have. I can''t see a dealer spending money to change all 4 tyres unless there was a real need, and then surely they would have only replaced the front axle pair as these would have been the only ones that might have been worn... They would have not spent cash unecessarily... as previously stated I'm 99% sure the mileage if correct due to my own investigations. Car is immaculate, like new.

I Will have to apply to the DVLA for prev owner address as I have his name on the V5 but the address is that of the BMW dealer the guy traded this car in at as they did the paperwork for his private plate transition.

Need a technician to evaluate the side effects of the lower profile tyres. I have been told that it shouldn't cause a problem by my borther in law who alos said the following:

Improved control & handling
Harder Firmer ride
Speedo errors

Just need to now for sure whether it is OK to leave them.....

I could call Mazda if they have a tech helpline tomorrow!
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - Simon
I still can't see why someone would swap the tyres if they are the original alloys that came on the car. The original tyres should not have worn out and why would you fit 40 profile tyres instead of the correct 45's? They would be more expensive surely like for like...
Title amended. I am surprised an early model was on sale in Nov 2007. They were on sale in 2008. Period. I ordered the previous model as a company car in late 2007 and would have got the new model if available. It was not.

... so that makes me wonder too.

If the tyres are the size you say then you need to take the car back and discuss with the dealer. They are the wrong tyre. Trading standards spring to mind.

You also need to check the tyres (a modification) are okay with your insurer. They do need to know.

You won't call a Mazda techline number - there isn't one apparently. I have a diesel like others that increases the oil level. Only the dealers to speak to.
I've only just looked at and made tiny the link for the tyres. I would not drive a car on 18" tyres costing little more than £43 per tyre! I am sorry but if you're on 18" wheels (and smaller) then a performance tyre will cost more.

And my Mazda6 came with Bridgestone Turanza's I think.

Edited by rtj70 on 31/05/2009 at 23:26

cheers guys...

No techie line for Mazda, thats not good.

Mine is defo new shape 2.5 SL Stormy Blue - Registered Nov 2007 (57 plate) by Mazda UK themselves. Apparently used at car shows, press shoots, test drives.... Might explain why it was an early one. The petrol did come out before the Diesels aswell. I have seen some other ones registered in Nov 2007 such as reg OV57 OJS.... Check it out on the DVLA Tax Enquiry Web Site.

I would not have put these tyres on.... I would have gone for something better personally.

If the dealer will pay for or at least contribute to the cost of replacement then I'll be OK. If not then it could cost me £400 PLUS to put right.

If I get to talk to the previous owner I'll let you know the reasons why......
PS: The alloys look like the Standard ones in the Mazda brochure for the SL model.

When I measure the alloys on the outside it is more like 19" than 18" so I'm guessing the 18" refers to the wheel rim.
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - bell boy
spot on
this was to injection docs post a trillion posts away

Edited by bell boy on 01/06/2009 at 00:27

07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - bathtub tom
Nah!

Demonstrator, driven by all and sundry, without a care in the world.

I remember when my company tried mini vans. Lucky if the fronts lasted 5K.

Not my tyres!
bathtub tom,

You may be right. The model of car was on sale in early 2008. In 2007 it was definitely not possible to buy one. HJ probably had this car for a bit as did all publishers. Hence the new tyres.

Now we now it was a demonstrator pre-launch.... I am guessing the advice is to return it to the dealer you bought it from with the problems you describe as the reason.

Explains the private plate used too...

If you decide to keep then try to get a contribution for tyres and swap to something better. You probably got it cheap anyway. And if not why not - buying a car that pre-dated being on sale to the general public.
I knew it was a demo vehicle as Mazda UK show up on the V5, plus I spoke to the fleet management company that looked after it. Paragon Fleet Solutions. They checked their records and told me over the phone all about it and what it was used for. They said press shoots, motor shows and yes, test drives...... I know that means it might have been abused, but the condition is spot on.... Lots of people buy ex demo cars as it is sometimes the only affordable way to a nearly new car.

The private plates were from the 2nd owner (not when it was a demo car) who I have just managed to find his address in the glove compartment and have dropped him a line asking him to call me so I can ask if he had the tyres put on or not.

The car is in A1 condition, only issue is the tyre size.... easily rectified but expensive.

Once the previous owner has got back to me then I can go back to the dealer and state my case with all the facts. Iu have sent an email to the dealer to make them aware.

I paid £12,750 for a Nov 2007 (57 plate) 13,000 miles new shape Mazda 6 2.5 SL in a nice colour (stormy blue) 6 months road tax. Seemed a good price to me. The list price is over £20k for a new one.

Still, if the dealer had the tyres put on they might have some comeback themselves to the tyre shop they used, as it would have been them that fitted the wrong size.

I will see how the week unfolds and then if I can't get them changed will let my insurance company know.
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - injection doc
The other possibility is the car was used for a track day. sales demo day.I used to do loads of track days & I can remember a Goodwood day in a vectra V6 SRI with the driver being Gerry Marshall who used to drive big bertha , & oh boy could he drive but the tyres were all scrap by 2pm. I can now remeber doing a track day in my carlton GSi 24v & that cost me 4 tyres in 10 laps.
could be..

Not sure it would make a good track car...... not that quick, quite refined.
Well.... all is now clear.....

As said earlier I dropped the previous owner a letter yesterday and he called me back today:

He bought the car from Arnold Clark Mazda in Aberdeen in Nov 2008 for £15k with 8,500 miles on the clock.

When it snowed in Scotland he was getting little grip from the factory fitted Dunlop Sport 2050 tyres.... plenty of tread on them though, but said they were like slicks... So he got the tyres changed in Dec 2008 - was assured by the tyre fitter that the 225/40's would be fine as he questioned why they were not 225/45s - the tyre fitter said he would get better grip? He paid £300 for 4 Kenda tyres fitted... He knew they were budget tyres. he also said the grip was better with them.

I asked him why he only kept it 6 months - He said he changes cars a lot and that was just him (he said he had the previous one to this for only 8 months - another Mazda 6 new shape diesel) - nothing wrong with the car - he just gets bored - He confirmed mileage is correct and no accidents/bodywork and that he had no issues or problems with it except for the tyre grip.

May 2009 he traded it in at BMW dealer for £12k and got a 3 litre 3 series.

BMW Dealer sell it on as they only sell used BMW's.

End May 2009 I buy it for £12,750 with 6 months road tax and spot the tyres are wrong size.

All is now crystal clear.

Still doesn't answer the question as to whether the tyre size is legal.... I guess I can't blame the dealer I bought it from directly now! Still, they may have some obligation! Do i need to tell insurance company that it is a mod??
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - SpamCan61 {P}
Still doesn't answer the question as to whether the tyre size is legal.... I guess
I can't blame the dealer I bought it from directly now! Still they may have
some obligation! Do i need to tell insurance company that it is a mod??

I'd say you need to inform the insurance company, (despite my views in the recent thrread about how insurance companies need to be more specific about what 'modification actually means...) if that tyre size is not standard for that model.
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The tyres are a non standard size as apparently is the load rating. 91W is classified as extra load and I'd to search to find such tyres for my Hyundai coupe. I'd not risk an insurance claim being turned down....
91W is common for 225/45 18s but 88W is common for 225/40 18s... the lower the profile the less the loading.

I need to check my cars loading to see if the 88W tyre is within limits.

I will let insurance co know - will they charge extra premium or do they just need to know?
07 2.5 Wrong Tyre Size Fitted (Same width lower pr - SpamCan61 {P}
I will let insurance co know - will they charge extra premium or do they
just need to know?

Only one way to find out I'm afraid... it would be interesting to know if other BRers have actually had their premiums upped.