I like the look of... - ifithelps
This thread was inspired by the new Passat.

I've seen three or four, and I just rather like the look of it.

I wonder if there are other cars, or parts of cars, that backroomers think look really well?

Let's try to stick to fairly mainstream stuff, the sort of car the rest of us might see on the way to work.

Perhaps it's just a certain detail, or angle of view, that makes you look twice.

Another example for me is the Mazda 6, but only in a metallic colour I would call lilac.

Seen two or three of those and I've stopped each time to admire.

My last contribution in this post is the more expensive versions of the Mondeo estate.

There was one in the showroom when I bought the CC3 and it really looked the part.

I know it's only a shoebox on wheels, but that car looked like it was moving even though it was standing still.
I like the look of... - BobbyG
Saw a new Laguna Coupe today in the flesh and looks gorgeous, almost A5 like.
But I like the 407 Coupe as well so all a matter of opinion...
I like the look of... - Tron
Vauxhall Insignia VXR sports tourer.
I like the look of... - FocusDriver
Passat: It looks like a Mercedes at the front with the large metallic grille and a Laguna from the rear. Very cosmopolitan, certainly handsome. One specific observation about the new passat is that if you take a profile view, the front and rear both look like they belong to a larger/smaller (respectively) other half, not the one in the picture.

The 6 seems a huge improvement on the old 6 but I have to say I'm not a fan of the new shape Mazda 3. They've done a FocusII on it and taken away most of the styling. But I'm still bitter at being told that I should take the Mazda 3 off my shortlist immediately. Against popular opinion, I thought the old Mazda 3 in 2.0 Sport spec, looked marvellous.

Car I've noticed? One chap I pass on the way to work drives a beatiful new Mitsubishi Lancer estate. Something very edgy and different about it. A resounding success I think.

I like the new Mondy estate conceptually but, it's so enormous and I can't bring myself to love it. Big Ford fan though. I'd have one if I had to lug around all Humph's Holdalls.
I like the look of... - RickyBoy
Alfa Spider 3.2 JTS V6 Q4 in Alfa Red. Looks to die for but my friends 'in the trade' remind me that they are still made by 'spics on a Friday afternoon so reliability is still a big issue? If somebody out there could convince me otherwise I'd go and buy one next week!

Mercedes-Benz SL350 in Thulite Red. Chunky and masculine enough to be called a real man's convertible?

Jaguar XF 3.0 Diesel S ? well, OK, I really meant to say the Jaguar XFR 5.0 V8 Supercharged in Ultimate Black but you don't see too many of those on the road. Looks to die for x10!

Finally, but as rare over here as rocking-horse wotsit at the moment ? the Infiniti G37 Coupe. I have the brochure and am about to put myself on the 'reserve list'. I'd rather have the convertible mind:

thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-content/uploads/infini...g

I need to purchase any of the above before I die but which one should it be?
I like the look of... - BazzaBear {P}
Your friends in the trade are idiots, especially so if they use words like 'spic', and possibly even more so if they use it to describe Italians, when it's actually a slur aimed at Hispanic people.
I like the look of... - Pugugly
Obviously a measure of their intelligence.
I like the look of... - loskie
Scirocco
I like the look of... - rtj70
>>This thread was inspired by the new Passat.

What new Passat? Unless you mean the newish 4 seater Passat CC which has been around for a while. As a reader of car magazines I'm intrigued to know if there is a new Passat. The saloon and estate versions haven been around for ages now it seems.

Now the Scirocco I like!
I like the look of... - Jon P
Chevy Matiz 0.8S in Dynamic Orange. 119gCO2/km.
I like the look of... - ifithelps
...Unless you mean the newish 4 seater Passat CC which has been around for a while...

rtj70,

That's the one.

Didn't know how long it's been out - I've only just started seeing them in the North East.

I like the look of... - Bagpuss
Agree about the Passat CC. I was very tempted to get one, interior is also fabulous.

New Scirocco also looks good, loads of white ones around. I also find the Golf 6 has a certain "rightness" about the styling. So VW doing well on the styling front at the moment.

Most attractively styled car around at the moment has to be the Alfa Brera. Shame about the driving experience...
I like the look of... - DP
Another vote for the new Scirocco. In white or metallic blue. I also find myself agreeing with Bagpuss on the Golf 6. Better looking than the 4, which the 5 wasn't (and still isn't) IMHO.
The new Fiesta is the best looking small car in an æon.
Alfa 159, particularly nose on. Stunning.
Audi A5
Renault Laguna Coupe
Vauxhall Insignia

I think car styling has generally improved in the last few years. That awful gawky eyed, bulbous look of a few years ago seems to be dying out, and sleekness is coming back. Long may it continue.

Most attractively styled car around at the moment has to be the Alfa Brera. Shame
about the driving experience...

Why, what's wrong with the driving experience?
Why what's wrong with the driving experience?

I have written about the Brera here before, try a Forum search. I've only driven the diesel version, not been able to try the V6.
Just found it, thanks.

I had thought the Alfa Diesel was amongst the most sporty of those available, perhaps the problem with yours was the inevitable abuse of a hire car? Can't judge personally though, haven't driven one myself.

Would the 'sunlight on the dash' problem be one shared with all open top cars though? There's only so much you can do to shade the instruments when there's no roof to help!

You've tried it and found it not to your taste though, I can't argue with that. At least you're not one of the majority who just 'know' that an Alfa must have problems!
You've tried it and found it not to your taste though I can't argue with
that. At least you're not one of the majority who just 'know' that an Alfa
must have problems!

Actually, before my Brera adventure with the rental car I had seriously considered buying one. I really think it's one of the most fabulous looking cars ever and I'd already looked at and sat in a V6 in the showroom of the local dealer here. It was a disapointment to find that it didn't drive the way I expected, but that's life. Admittedly I would never buy a car like this with a diesel engine, I'm sure the 2 litre 4 cylinder Twin Spark is a real cracker and maybe with a bit less weight over the front wheels it handles better too.
I like the look of... - DP
The second time I feel compelled to quote Clarkson in one day:

"Putting a diesel engine in an Alfa is like putting a moustache on the Mona Lisa."

That said, I remember the 2.4 JTD M-Jet unit in the 156 being leagues ahead of any other diesel engine I'd experienced when it came out. So much grunt, and a lovely noise to boot.
I like the look of... - Westpig
a few years back, watching some saloon car racing at Castle Combe the car in second place seriously harrying the leader in an all Alfa race was...a diesel Alfa estate, the thing was flying
Aye, that diesel 156 was pretty well known in Alfa racing circles. I'm not that well up on them, but I've seen it a couple of times. One of the better drivers in it I think, which obviously helps!

I think the anti-diesel bias is a little anachronistic these days. If you're after anything vaguely 'normal' there are a lot of arguments for them, and in a lot of cases, performance is one of them.

I think it's only really if you're after something in particular, or something special that they're not something you should consider.
For instance I specifically wanted the V6 in my GTA for the aural treat, and to have owned such an iconic engine and car. So diesel didn't get a look in. My intention is to continue to own cars which are a sonic treat, so that may continue to be the case.
If cars weren't a hobby as well as a mode of transport for me though, I'd have to think about the diesel options.

Edited by BazzaBear {P} on 29/05/2009 at 22:52

I like the look of... - rtj70
ifithelps, the Passat CC is on my next list if it still exists then ;-) Why didn't they make the normal Passat look as good. And why is the Passat CC a 4-seater and not also available as a 5-seater?

It has only been around since 2008 though so is fairly new.

Edited by rtj70 on 29/05/2009 at 22:58

I like the look of... - GroovyMucker
Passat.

Insignia (though I wouldn't admit it).

C5.