07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - MCMikie
Today my visiting mother-in-law asked for advice on why the low engine oil warning light hadn't turned off despite her adding oil. I suggested that some new VAG diesels had a reputation for using oil until they'd bedded in, but then something she said made me suspicious. We went out to the car and lifted the bonnet. I asked her to show me where she'd put the oil. Seems she'd mistaken the oil filler cap with the PAS fuild reservoir!!!! This had happened over weeks ago! I asked if the steering had felt different but she reported that the car is running fine. The engine still had oil in it so I'm sure that'll be fine, but its the PAS system that I'm concerned about. Obviously the system will need draining but will this episode have caused expensive damage? Is it advisable to even drive it to her local dealer? I've managed so far not to laugh but she's mortified and I'd like to give her some positive advice (hopefully).
Any advice appreciated.
07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - Woodspeed
Happened to an Audi 100 some years ago of mine. VW/AUDI/Skoda PAS fluid is unique to them, but is mineral oil based. Get a good supply from GSF (very cheap - well cheaper than dealers). Get a wash up bowl underneath the car, and take off the rubber hose from the PAS bottle. Run engine at a slow idle and move the steering wheel left to right a few times. Let as much drain as possible.
Connect rubber hose and fill again with new fluid. Idle, and left and right on the steering gets rid of the air.
Drain again after a good 50 miles and do this twice.
You will probably then get away with it. If not then in the next few months the seals will start to go. Ford and GM cars would not tolerate this, but the make up of VW fluid is oil based. Same problem happens when someone picks Dexron PAS fluid off the shelf and stuffs it in the car.
07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - Woodspeed
Just another thought, if the PAS bottle is at correct level she can probably have only got an egg cup full in anyway.

Worst one I ever heard of was a woman who tipped 5 litres of Waxoyl into the filler of a Metro.

Then there was the woman who mixed up the new 5 litre containers from gallons, and tipped 5 x 5 litres of oil into a BMC 1800 land crab - AND STARTED IT!

Mind you, I have also put engine oil into the washer bottle. Don't ask!
07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - Hamsafar
If still under warranty, I wouldn't tell the dealer, they will probably tell you you now need a new rack or something daft.

The fluid is green and CHF-11S, you can get this from most motor factors and do partial changes from the reservoir until the fluid is clear and green in colour or go to an independent garage.
07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - Roly93
From the sound of it if you drain the system in the way that has been described by someone else you shouldn't have any further problems.

However on a lateral track, my wife did something very similar to our Ford Focus. The screenwasher was empty so she decided to 'top it up'. She saw the screen was on my workbench and it was coloured pink. So she promptly began to fill up the coolant overflow tank which also had pink fluid in it !

When she told me what she had done and said the screen washer still isnt working, I was just about to dismantly and clean the screenwash system, when I noticed the high level; of the coolant. Then it dawned on me what had happened.
As she hadn't driven the car more than about 1 1/2 miles I though I would get away with just emptying the header tank and adding new antifreeze.

A few months later, the water pump gland began to leak, which with hindsight was probably damaged by the detergent in the screenwash, so I had to swap the water pump, after only 36K miles.
07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - Bill Payer
It's not just women who do daft things - the oil service warning came on in my daughter's SEAT Ibiza the other day, as the dealer (for the second time) hadn't bothered to reset it after servicing.

So her boyfriend, without checking the dipstick, put 2litres of oil into the engine. Muppet.
07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - Javalin
I mistakenly (I was very tired) but coolant additive into the screen wash bottle a long time ago. Then burn't the pump out trying to empty the bottle.... Nice AA man came and sorted it (company car). I filled the right bottle, but with the wrong goo!

James
07 2.0 Fluids mix-up advice - Dave_TD
So her boyfriend, without checking the dipstick, put 2litres of oil into the engine

I used to work with a cab driver who, upon taking over a car for his night shift, would fill the tank with diesel and then add 1 litre of oil to the engine.

Every evening.

He may have needed to do this in the 60's and 70's but we are talking W/X/Y reg Octavias here, not know for their vast thirst for oil even at silly mileage.

We only stopped him from doing this by filling the car up with fuel before picking him up, and sending him straight on a job.
I filled the right bottle, but with the wrong goo!

I worked at a place with a dozen red Ford Cargo's, the transport manager only ever supplied proper antifreeze to add to the screen wash tanks. Result - a dozen matt pink-fronted Cargo's which made you cough every time you washed the windscreens.

Dave TD

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 07/06/2009 at 00:44