00 3.0 Auto wiper problems. - sdweatherall
hello there, i own a e46 330i year 2000,4 door salon,since i bought the car 3 weeks ago there has been a problem with the windscreen wipers,the first notch on the stalk is meant to be auto mode(rain sensitive),the wipers just sweep the screen,they seem to work ok on the faster settings and the headlight washers work,my previous car a e36 325i,wipers had a thing where when you stop the wipers stopped and restarted when you set off again,should the e46 do this as they just sweep regardless of moving or stopping?
i took it in to a garage who said i need a new wiper motor? how can this be as the wipers do work??
i have posted this on three bmw sites and have had no answers yet,can anyone help me out there please!!!

Edited by Pugugly on 24/05/2009 at 00:32

x 3000 window wiper fault,help!! - elekie&a/c doctor
If the car has auto wipers ,then it should have auto headlights,do these work?Also check if the rain sensor is fitted above the rear view mirror.hth
x 3000 window wiper fault,help!! - sdweatherall
hello,thanks for the speedy reply!!,car has not got auto headlights as far as i am aware?,yes it has a rain sensor above the rear view mirror,i have checked the fuse for the rain sensor and its ok,also changed the relay for the wipers in the black sealed box(in the engine bay by the bulk head)still no luck,would you suggest taking car to bmw and seeing if they can find fault with the system??
x 3000 window wiper fault,help!! - islandman
AFAIK the autowipers work only via the rain sensor and it makes no difference whether you are stationery or moving.
The adjustments on the stalk are for sensitivity ---- top more, bottom least.
If the wipers work ok when on normal permanent sweep then I can't see how it can be the motor.
You could try cleaning the glass over the sensor in case any polish/etc residue has built up & causing problems.
hello,have tried cleaning glass,still no luck!!,the first notch and all the other settings speeds are no different regardless of the adjustments on stalk,i have heard that the control stalks can play up,meaning taking the steering wheel off to put a new one off!!
any more ideas anyone,please help me sort this out!!! thanks!!
x 3000 window wiper fault,help!! - elekie&a/c doctor
Unlikely to be a wiper stalk fault.Possible fault with the rain sensor/wiring to it .Has it had a new windscreen fitted recently?
hello,yes had a new windscreen fitted by auto glass,this fault was there before new screen and has not affected the function of the wipers(exactly the same as previous),today i took out the 15 amp fuse thats in the glovebox fuse box thats marked up as the rain sensor fuse,i heard of somebody doing this and having control over the intermitent setting,nothing changed so that rules out the sensor?perhaps the garage might be correct in saying a new wiper motor would be the cure,i still dont understand this as the wipers do work but just not on intermitent and they do not adjust on the roller switch on the stalk??!
any more advise or things maybe to test before biting the bullet and taking to the dealers/bmw! again thanks.

{please note, the word dealers starts with 'd' and not 'st' ;o) }

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/05/2009 at 19:27