02 1.8 - water pump and cam belt - VectraPete
Hi,

Have just taken my Vectra C to the dealer garage to investigate a rattling noise coming from the drive belt area under my hood. In just 10 seconds of hearing the noise the mechanic said the water pump bearings are on the way out. To sort it out they need to replace the pump, AND the cam belt.
Apparently when they take both out, they don't recommend putting the same belt back in.
My cam belt was changed about 30K ago.

Having been out of work and cash strapped lately, so can I get some open and honest opinions if both a new pump and belt is the only option?

Can't remember exactly but I think belts are changed every 40k now (?), if so it wouldn't be a crying shame to change at 30K I suppose. It just feels like all of the expensive things are coming home to roost when I least need it.

Cheers,

VP

Edited by Webmaster on 20/05/2009 at 18:00

02 1.8 - water pump and cam belt - Dynamic Dave
As I just posted on another forum. To use the same belt is false economy. The belt has to be taken off to change the pump. Might as well put a new one on while it's in your hands.

Belt change every 60k or every 6 yrs on the Z18XE engine.
02 1.8 - water pump and cam belt - Chris M
Agree with DD, but can appreciate your current situation. By 'dealer' do you mean main dealer? If so, try an indy and your total bill with new belt should be lower than main dealer without.
02 1.8 - water pump and cam belt - SpamCan61 {P}
Also worth trying a couple of other main delaers if convenient; they don't always charge the same. A couple of times in the past I've had jobs done cheaper by a main dealer than local indies wanted. Wouldn't hang about though if the water pump is that bad.