Tools (spanners etc) you have found in the road - Chrome
Looking at the contents of my toolbox I have several decent tools which have been found on the road (mostly whilst cycling or walking), the most recent find was a perfect Draper Expert 15mm ring spanner. My most treasured find is a lovely Britool 7mm ring spanner, the oddest find a strange spring jawed one size fits all bodge-spanner!
I guess to get on the road in the first instance they have to be still (loosely) on a vehicle, a friend found a nice quality 10mm spanner in his engine bay quite some time after its main dealer service, amazingly it was still attached to the component the mechanic had been working on!
Anyone else here had any lucky tool finds in the road?
Tools (spanners etc) you have found in the road - Tron
Chrome - we have already been there a few months ago on this one!
Tools (spanners etc) you have found in the road - 1400ted
i didn't see the original, most of my finds have been under bonnets when I was on the breakdown service

Fortunately, all have been Snap on...two useful sized ring spanners and a full set of 3/4 drive deep sockets !
Also a leatherette case with a dozen or so 6 inch long hex keys and screwdrivers with a T handle to suit them all. Very good quality too.

Ted
Tools (spanners etc) you have found in the road - L'escargot
I've never found a tool on the road, but I did once find a tool for removing oil filters that had been left under the bonnet after my car had been serviced.

Edited by L'escargot on 16/05/2009 at 08:30

Tools (spanners etc) you have found in the road - ifithelps
I found a slightly rusty 12mm combination spanner while out walking.

It's an odd size, but does fit the nuts used on satellite/DAB aerial connectors.

....... 12mm combination spanner ..........
It's an odd size ........

Google for 12mm spanner and you'll find lots of uses for a 12mm spanner.
...you'll find lots of uses for a 12mm spanner....

Do they include crushing snails?

Do they include crushing snails?

You could never do that, ifithelps. I'll always be ebullient!
...Google for 12mm spanner and you'll find lots of uses for a 12mm spanner....

Carburettor float chambers? Some bit on an old Brit bike?

Both of those are hardly common and I doubt are strictly 12mm anyway - would have been BSF, Whitworth or something equally obscure.

Most modern fastenings around this size are either 10mm or 13mm, so I'm sticking to my point about 12mm being an odd size.

Hex fixings in general are becoming rarer, it seems to me.

Lots of Torx, Allen head, and some other star-shaped thing I don't know the name of.

Spanners and sockets - Pugugly
A small Mole wrench - in a car-park in Abersoch in 1982, been very useful.
Spanners and sockets - George Porge

Wrong thread ;o)

Ta - using magic powers moved it to the right one

Edited by Pugugly on 16/05/2009 at 11:24

Spanners and sockets - madf
Tool carrier t in the hedge outside our house : must have been an electrician's...
Spanners and sockets - bell boy
a new rubber cover for my trade plate (dvla wanted me to send the lost plate back to them at my expense but i weighed it in due to it being made of ali so a double bonus) none of those plastic plates here ,mine are so old they should be in a museum
a beaut prybar
numerous wheel trims that always come in handy

Edited by bell boy on 16/05/2009 at 14:55

Tools (spanners etc) you have found in the road - 1400ted
>> ....... 12mm combination spanner ..........
>> It's an odd size ........

I use 12mm as much as 13mm. Lots of older Nissans and Datsuns use a 12mm head on an 8 mm threaded bolt. Rarer sizes are 9,16,18. I only have one 16 spanner and that's an open ender although I have a couple of sockets.. hardly ever used.

Ted
..Lots of older Nissans and Datsuns use a 12mm head on an 8 mm threaded bolt...

Ted,

My comment was 'most modern fastenings' although I don't know if the Japanese still use their odd 'reduced head' bolts.

As you say, there was a 12mmm head on an 8mm threaded bolt, and there was larger combination, the size of which escapes me.

Tools (spanners etc) you have found in the road - Farmer Boy
I've got one of these. I'm going to leave it in the road for someone to find
ring spanner the oddest find a strange spring jawed one size fits all bodge-spanner!