seized roadster engine - chris rabson
Has anyone any ideas on how to unseize an engine,its been standing for a long time ,was in good condition
Re: seized roadster engine - John Slaughter
Chris

The problem is usually rings rusted to cylinder walls, plus possibly cam followers rusted in their bores. Aluminium pistons can corrode too, making them tight in the bores or locking the rings. I have heard of such engines being freed by injecting Redex or similar into the plug holes and leaving them for a good while, after which they may be moveable. Problem is that the rings, bores, cam followers or whatever will be then operating with a nice abrasive coating of oily rust! OK, maybe, if you want to sell it quickly, but you can't guarantee what state it's in. Bearing surfaces may well be corroded too. The corrosion results from the engine being left with old, slightly acidic oil in place. The only real answer is to remove the engine and dismantle it, cleaning or replacing components as necessary.

Regards

john
I'm with John on this. - David Woollard
Chris,

A bit depends on how long it (whatever it is?) has been standing. I did get an old VW air cooled estate going by just towing it up the road and dropping the clutch a few times. It had been standing for two years so wasn't that bad. But boy did it use some oil afterwards. Still I ran it for a further year without any failures.

However John is right, the only proper way is to strip and inspect. You might be horrified by the potential damage once the causes of seizing are exposed.

Oh and a note for John....VW was a 1963 1500 Variant and my reckless methods were in the innocence of youth, yet again.

Now did I tell you about that time in the 70s when.........

David
Re: I'm with John on this. - honest john
I think this is the reader who bought a Triumph Roadster which had been sitting in a garage since 1972. It has the 2000 engine, ie Standard Vanguard, Triumph TR2, Ferguson Tractor, etc., so if anyone knows any specifics about this engine in a seisze state, please add them to this thread.

HJ
Re: I'm with John on this. - John Slaughter
HJ, thanks for that. If it's been standing since 1972 and it's siezed then a strip and rebuild is the only real option.

The Standard Owners Club (check Practical Classics) can probably help.

Regards

John
Re: I'm with John on this. - chris rabson
Thanks for your help and advice,I think that itmight be cheaper to get another engine.An unleaded head is over £300 and new pistons and liners are also that much
Cheers
Chris Rabson
p.s the chassis,ash frame and body,hood,etc are all good and Iwould like to keep the car
Re: I'm with John on this. - chris rabson
Thanks for your help and advice,I think that itmight be cheaper to get another engine.An unleaded head is over £300 and new pistons and liners are also that much
Cheers
Chris Rabson
p.s the chassis,ash frame and body,hood,etc are all good and Iwould like to keep the car