99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - FocusDriver
Hello people, I wonder if I could count once again on the brilliant minds which gather here...

I had my car serviced at my local indie about three weeks ago- they found nothing but, since yesterday morning, there's been a knocking noise from the front passenger side, not too intrusive but obviously it's something that needs looking at.

The problem is that I cannot be without my car until next week though I do not need to use it for any journeys over 10 miles.

I've been meaning to replace the car with something newer for some time (laziness!) so I'm not looking to own the car for anything more than another 2 months or so.

What, in your opinion is this? And, how safe do you think it will be to cover no more than 80 miles until next week?

Any opinions/musings very welcome. Thanks in advance :)
99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - gabble
A difficult one. If it feels dangerous, it probably is and should be looked at.

However to put a different perspective on it, my daily commute is 75 miles, so if I noticed a knocking in the morning, I'd have done nearly 80 miles before I had chance to consider whether it was safe/sensible to use it again the following day...

gabble
99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - ifithelps
FD,

In your position, I think I would check the obvious, such as wheel nuts and the tyre.

Then get out and get under - the weather's good - and check the front suspension and steering components.

If you don't know what to look for, compare the knocking side with the side that doesn't.

Don't drive it if it feels wobbly, and book it into the garage as soon as you can.

99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - Alby Back
If it suddenly stops knocking that might a good sign. However, do check to see if a wheel is bowling down the hard shoulder.......

Happened to me once a lifetime ago. Bemused by the wheel I watched it idly until my nearside front dropped onto the road. Only then did I realise it was mine.

Get it checked soon in my view.
99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - MikeTorque
Check suspension system, could be track rod end about to go. Also check wheel bearing for play, wheel nuts are tight, and if brake shoes are catching or one has come loose.
99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - bathtub tom
Are anti-roll bar ball joints still a favorite on these?
99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - VR6
Also check the suspension spring. Friends Focus (1999) had a knocking, turned out to be a snapped suspension spring.
99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - FocusDriver
Just a quick one to thank all contributors. Really appreciate your thoughts.

I'm in my lunch hour at the moment but will carry out the checks suggested and report back.

Thanks again folks.
99 1.6 Knocking from nearside front - urgent? - photoflasher

I have a similar problem with my 2006 Focus Zetec Climate. I have had the obvious parts checked out.. suspension, CVJs, Anti-roll etc and it is still there. Any ideas?