99 1.8 Possible impending clutch problem ? - jp147
Today I approached very steep hill and instead of staying in 2nd gear I quickly changed to 3rd gear instead. However as I began at the bottom of the hill (in 3rd gear) and pressed down on the accelerator I noticed the revs rised slightly (unexpectantly). Is this a bad sign and are there any tell-tale tests I can do myself to diagnose ?

Thanks.
99 1.8 Possible impending clutch problem ? - dagenham car center
does sound like your clutch is on the way out,ring aound for best quotes.
find out price for a two or three piece clutch
how many years warranty
an all in price
anyone you know who can recomend a garage or mechanic
get a receipt and get in writing the warranty duration and conditions.
99 1.8 Possible impending clutch problem ? - mikej
When the clutch went on my 99 1.8i, the symptoms were similar - ie. rising revs when you put your foot down, without the anticipated increase in speed.

I was able to drive around like this for a week or two with the problem getting progressively worse and more noticeable, until I was sure that it was definitely the clutch that was causing it.

I was shocked at the prices I was quoted for a replacement - I rang around many different places in my local area and, IIRC, I ended up paying around £350 and that was from a trusted local garage with non-Ford parts. That did include the clutch AND release bearing/slave cylinder though, which you're recommended to change at the same time.