who has had their car longest? - barney100
Met a bloke today who has had his VW Scirocco well over 20 years and uses it regularly.
Anyboby got a car they have had for years?

{Typo in header corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/05/2009 at 03:50

who has had heir car longest? - Bromptonaut
We ran a 91/H BX estate from 93 to 2005 when it went to the scrapper with a over worn steering rack.

The current 2000/X Xantia is slated to be run into the ground as well.
who has had heir car longest? - stunorthants26
My dads Astra GLS auto estate which my grandad bought new in 1993 that passed to my dad on my grandfathers death is still with us and its actually running very well.

Ive put 500 miles on it in the last two weeks as my father is in hospital recovering from a heart attack, so its getting more use than normal and so far, its going well. Even all the elec windows/mirrors still work. Arches are a bit rusty but aside from that, its actually very solid and no corrosion underneath.

We are waiting for it to die but, well it just wont. I even valeted it the other day and it comes up really well!
who has had heir car longest? - Rattle
If it dosn't have an imboliser just park it on a Salford council estate and it will soon die.

The longest I have owned a far for is 6 months, the shortest apart from my current one is just over three months. I don't care if I have to buy a new donk for my new car, unless I crash it I intend to keep it for a while!

who has had heir car longest? - 1400ted

37 years next month....still got it.

Ted
who has had heir car longest? - AlastairW
A colleague still runs an F reg Cavalier, and will continue until his nephew delivers the Merc he is buying from the Isle of Man.
who has had heir car longest? - Westpig
Had a mechanic around today to get my Triumph going, having been off the road for 5 years. The only thing wrong, was the windscreen wiper motor took some persuasion to come back to life. Chap reckons she'll sail through the MOT.

Have owned the old girl for 19 years. She's 40 years old (Reg Nov '68).
I bet its a bit of a pig to drive though, especialy up west. Maybe this should be "who has had their current day to day car the longest?". I have lots of parts of my dads 1987 Lada still which was scrapped in 1997, I still have the number plates, window winders, heater controls etc.

I've seen Ted's car in the flesh and its a very nice car and hopefully will be working for many more decades.

PS just found out my old car (the Fiesta I bought in October and owned for three months) has now been scrapped! I should be banned from owning cars.

who has had heir car longest? - Westpig
I bet its a bit of a pig to drive though especialy up west. >>

Wasn't sure whether that was aimed my way Rattle...if so..no, not really. Straight six and auto, so quite smooth and being a 2 litre it's quick enough for modern traffic (and sounds good).. steering is quite heavy even with enormous steering wheel, but you get used to it...it's quite enjoyable. Maybe it's an acquired taste. One speed wipers in the rain keeps your speed down though and with a dynamo if you've got everything on, the lights can be a bit dim on tick over.
Yeah it was a silly joke :) Wow a dymino in a triumph that late, its amazingly really just how basic the cars of the 60's were yet you could buy a Renault hatch with electric windows and power steering back in the 60;s.
who has had heir car longest? - 1400ted
I replaced my dynamo with an alternator some years ago...transformed it, apart from bonus of changing the polarity so I could have a bit of music, the valve radio had given up.
No alterations to the car, even the cast pulley from the dynamo fitted on the Lucas 17 ACR alternator, needed because of the 'fat' fan belt. Just needed a 3 inch length of strong steel tube to make a packing piece for the rear bolt. Used a bit of Ford technology there...a piece of a broken Fiesta rocker shaft !

Jowetts never wear out, they are left to the next of kin. ........JCL advertising slogan.

Ted
who has had heir car longest? - madf
106 since 1993.
who has had heir car longest? - b308
Longest I've had one is just under 6 years... the Maxi's previous owner had it from its purchase until he died in 2005 - 26 years.
who has had heir car longest? - jetta
Purchased my Mustang fastback in May 1969 and still own it. Still runs nice but will need the motor rebuilt to use the 91 octane unleaded fuel. Was made to run on 98+ octane with lead.
who has had heir car longest? - Woodspeed
I had a Scirocco GTX from 1989 to Feb 09, so almost 20 years. Bought at 40k, sold at 328k. It was passed down the family from 1995, but still drove it regularly. All DIY servicing and repairs (not too many actually) and always synthetic oil and mechanical sympathy. Lovely car to drive, but it finally looked too scruffy for anyone to want to use it any more. Previously had a Mk1 Scirocco GLS, for 10 years, but loads of carb problems and it died of rust
who has had their car longest? - sierraman
I have had my car for nearly ten years,although I should qualify that by saying there is only the bodyshell and the back seats left of the original car.