99 2.0 Intermittent Clutch/Gearbox problem - Maceman
Hi all,

Have just bought the above car and overall it's great. However after 5 days driving and a reasonable 120 mile run, it has developed a problem selecting gears.

The fault is intermittent and either fully present or not at all. Fault is only present just after start up.

What happens is I start the car but then cannot select any gears - the lever will simply not shift to any position, as if no clutch operation at all.

Have started it in gear and the car pulls.

After a few attempts at starting/switch off/re starting, the fault is no longer present and the car drives perfectly, indefinitely. Switch off and restart and fault is present again.

Recovery company suggested a fault in one of the clutch cylinders leading to lack of pressure. (no leaks present)

Trader I bought car from has taken it to a garage and paying for fix (and has given me a courtesy car) so I can't complain really.

I'd really like to know what could be causing this fault so that I can check it's been fixed properly and not just bodged. Anyone got any ideas?
anyone?
99 2.0 Intermittent Clutch/Gearbox problem - injection doc
Hydraulics are the usual cause, the clutch hose fragments inside & causes slave & master cylinder failure. The fix is to change slave, master & a modified hose from Saab but I suspect a car sales will only change the offending article.
Thanks injection doc - very informative! I think I will take to my local indy saab garage when I get it back and get him to check it out for me.