George Gently Tax Discs - Berisford
Anyone watch the BBC series "George Gently" with Martin Shaw?

I noticed last time it was shown and 'tis true this series too, all the 60's vehicles featured have their Road Fund Tax Discs on the offside.

Now either they have a vehicle advisor with a poor knowledge / mental block or the production team are having a laugh.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/05/2009 at 01:42

George Gently Tax Discs - kithmo
IIRC, there was a time when you could put your tax disc anywhere on the windscreen and the easiest place was on the driver's side where you didn't have to stretch over.
George Gently Tax Discs - bell boy
if you were one of the lads you always put it up by the interior mirror
George Gently Tax Discs - Doc
there was a time when you could put your tax disc anywhere on the
windscreen

Is there a regulation stating the position now?

George Gently Tax Discs - Ben10
I was under the impression it should be in the top N/S corner of the windscreen. And definately not anywhere within the sweep of the wipers
George Gently Tax Discs - bathtub tom
IIRC it should be bottom N/S.

But how many people will argue what is the N/S?
George Gently Tax Discs - jc2
Doesn't state top or bottom;must just be visible from N/S.
George Gently Tax Discs - Hamsafar
Section 3 Vehicle Excise and Registration Act. For a vehicle
with a windscreen extending across to the nearside it must be
displayed on or adjacent to the nearside and clearly visible from the
nearside in daylight.
George Gently Tax Discs - stan10
It was filmed on location around Dublin, is that why ?

George Gently Tax Discs - Sofa Spud
It has always been a requirement that you display the tax disc at the bottom of the windcreen on the nearside. The fact that there was a craze for displaying them in the top centre, behind the rear view mirror, didn't make it legal!
George Gently Tax Discs - Ben10
Don't forget, if you apply for a tax disc in advance, it comes into force on the first day of the following month and you should not display it on your vehicle until then.
George Gently Tax Discs - mfarrow
first day of the following month and you should not display it
on your vehicle until then.

Alternatively it should be said that you should not remove the old tax disc until then. Nothing wrong with propping the new one up on the dashboard in advance so as in case you forget.
No requirement for bottom-just N/S.
George Gently Tax Discs - quizman
I watched the program last night and thought it was rather slow to start with. Then it moved a bit, I think they got the story from the Jersey goings on.
I enjoyed looking at the old cars and that woman who can dance , I started driving at this time. The story was set in 1964, I noticed a Mk1 Cortina, I thought that they didn't come out until 1965. Does anyone know?
George Gently Tax Discs - the swiss tony
Mk 1 1962, Mk 2 1966 Mk 3 1970 Mk4 1976 Mk 5 (Cortina 80) 1979
George Gently Tax Discs - captain chaos
I didn't see the programme but i reckon that the vehicle owners keep their period tax discs on the drivers' side for filming purposes, and their current ones on the nearside.
Wasn't aware that there was a specific requirement for placement of tax discs on windscreens, though a friend of mine got a pull for displaying his at the top left corner of the screen. It was obscured by the tinted shadeband
Must be CLEARLY visible from the N/S.Doesn't matter if it's top or bottom as long as it can be CLEARLY seen.
George Gently Tax Discs - kithmo
It was filmed on location around Dublin is that why ?

They must have been period Guinness labels then ;0)

Edited by kith on 04/05/2009 at 23:48