Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - volvoman

A 'helpless female driver' friend of mine is borrowing a 1992 Astra 1.7d and reported that the brake and battery warning lights have come on. She has stopped using the car but doesn't have the manual so can't ascertain exactly what these lights might indicate. I have told her to check the brake fluid level but she tells me that she can't open the bonnet to do so. Is there a 'knack' to opening the bonnet ?
Also what do these warning lights actually inidicate and is it just co-incidence that they've come on together.

She's had a really bad time with cars lately so I know she'll be truly grateful for any help the Back Room can offer.
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - HF
Just seeing if this will work - I'm the 'helpless female driver' in question, I tried to post a message about this earlier, but being helpless, I managed to make it disappear!

So Volvoman gallantly agreed to come to my rescue!

He's right, I would be really grateful to anyone who can shed any light on this, I located the 'bonnet-opening lever' and pulled it but nothing happened, and, being someone else's car I don't want to force it.

Thanks,
Helpless.
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - Dynamic Dave
I located the 'bonnet-opening lever' and pulled it but
nothing happened, and, being someone else's car I
don't want to force it.

Just to make sure you are pulling the correct lever (and not the ejector seat one) it's located in the front drivers side foot well - the bonnet lever, that is.
lol Dynamic, thanks for that! I'm pretty sure I've got the right lever cos it has a picture of a car with an open bonnet on it - unless the ejector seats eject you through the bonnet these days.......
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - timp
I have experienced problems with opening the bonnet of a Cavalier of similar age - I think the cable for the bonnet release stretches with time.

You could try getting someone to pull the lever at the same time as someone else 'assisting' the latch to move through the front grill with a screwdriver.

Trouble is, this always happens when you really need to open the bonnet, like when the windscreen washer is completely empty...
Thank you timp - see guys, I'm not really helpless at all! - it's the age of the car, nothing to do with my inabilities at all!

I will try your suggestion, timp, if I can find someone careful enough to wield a screwdriver without causing any damage.

Maybe I will call on.................Volvoman!!!!!
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - BrianW
Opening a bonnet is usually a two-stage process.
When you pull the lever the bonnet should spring up, but only an inch or so.
It will then be held by a safety catch which you will find by running your fingers along under the front of the partially opened bonnet.
You may have completed stage one but not realised it. If this is so you will be able to do stage 2. If stage one has not happened you will not be able to get your fingers under the front of the bonnet.
HTH
Thank you Brian - I'm pretty sure I failed in stage one, because the bonnet didn't seem to move at all when I pulled the lever. I also got out and checked if the bonnet was openable, which it wasn't - couldn't get my fingers under it at all. Also, normally (in my limited experience) when you pull the bonnet lever, you can feel some sort of 'give', as the catch/hinges/whatever it is are released, and I felt absolutely nothing when I pulled this one.

A big thanks to everyone who is trying to help me here :)
Helpless
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - Ian (Cape Town)
For this trick, you may need an accomplice.
Get accomplice to lean ON the front of the bonnet, while you waggle the lever, this may ease in release, and you'll feel a distinct click or thonk.
Then get accomplice to lift the bonnet, and hopefully it will open.
HFD - I would be more than happy to pop round this morning and give you the benefit of my extensive mechanical expertise, not to mention my superhuman 'VOLVOMAN' powers !
P.s - You'll know me 'cos I have a 'lambdasond' motif on my pants which like all good superheroes, I wear on top of my trousers during 'office' hours..
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - Graham
Just set fire to it. Problem solved.
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - Bim
Why has this so called helpless female not joined a breakdown organisation for an instant cure!!>> Just set fire to it. Problem solved.
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - BrianW
Who needs a breakdown organisation when you've got The Backroomers and Volvoman on the job (in the nicest possible sense).
Exactly Brian - helpless but not silly huh? :)
Helpless Female Driver Astra Problem - Bim

All seems to have gone quiet, has the Helpless Female Driver with the Astra cured her problem? News please?>> Exactly Brian - helpless but not silly huh? :)
Bim - see HFD's thread "Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems".