Signum (ish) - Martin Devon
Does anybody have any real world experience of the Vauxhall Signum? The Merc has to go, W210 tin worm appearing!! I really don't want to be sensible yet as we don't cover too many private miles, so a bit more fun before we are all consigned to electric Golf carts would be in order.

Omega's seem thin on the ground now, but I guess the Sig' is not too common. Would want the 3.2 Elite in an ideal world and Auto' which I guess is the only option.

Other thoughts include a Volvo S80 or similar. All views appreciated.

Best regards........MD
Signum (ish) - gordonbennet
If you liked the 210 apart from its rust, BMW E39 5 series, or Lexus 300 would fit the bill nicely.

That way you keep RWD and its pleasant drive.
sq
Never thought about that GB. Forgot to say though that 4K (ish) would be about my limit.

MD

Edited by Pugugly on 02/05/2009 at 10:43

Signum (ish) - gordonbennet
. Forgot to say though that 4K (ish) would be about
my limit.

Good, then you can get one regd before March 2001 and be worry free over the VED con, which a 3.2 Signum will get hammered for next year...apparently....unless of course Mystic Meg knows different (she seems to be in running the country these days)

Of course if you're not too worried about RWD, there are endless possibilities..Volvo's or indeed one of the most reliable cars made...Toyota Camry.
Of course if you're not too worried about RWD there are endless possibilities..Volvo's or indeed
one of the most reliable cars made...Toyota Camry.

GB. I have just been on Autotrader and there are several Lexus GS there for what I consider little money. I wonder what their condition regarding corrosion really is like.

Front wheel drive is not a problem and to be fair is actually far safer than rwd. My days of sliding around roundabouts has all but gone as Management is usually with me. She is a very quick driver, but a lousy passenger. Twitchy feet if you get my meaning.

I tested a V6 Camry years and years ago and was vv impressed.

Keep it coming.

Best reg's...........Martin.
Signum (ish) - Alby Back
Well Martin, I bought a Signum last summer with a view to it replacing my old faithful mondeo estate. seemed like a bit of a bargain at the time but of course the world has changed even since then.

Mine is a 2003 /'53 plate 2.2 Direct Design model. Allegedly the sporty member of the family trim wise and with the 2.2 unit it doesn't disappoint performance wise. Regularly returns mid to high 30s to the gallon too.

I have enjoyed the Signum but have never been able to bring myself to sell the old Mondeo. That is not to criticise the Vauxhall, it's more about personal preferences and indeed the practical benefit of the greater loadspace in the Ford which I really need.

In fairness to the Signum it is quite a clever car. Auto wipers, cruise, the very nifty multi position rear seats are really handy. Good to drive and has a feel of the old Cavalier Sri about it somehow. It sort of encourages you to get on with things.

Anyway, I will be selling it imminently. It has a problem with its fuel pump which is apparently a common fault on this engine and while it's fixable it has just sort of helped me to decide what to do. Its not all bad news, I've been running it back to back with the Mondeo and have added 25k of by and large pleasant and trouble free miles. It's now up around 58k and I'm going to move it on while it still has some value.

If we lived nearer to one another I'd let you come and play with it but as you are in wurzel land and I'm in black pudding country that may not be practical. !

Would I recommend one ? Yeah, I probably would. Just not for me I think. I want an ST155 estate now....

Good hunting
Would I recommend one ? Yeah I probably would. Just not for me I think.
I want an ST155 estate now....

And when you get the 155 call Simon Coe of Upsolute.com and get it chipped. He done my Master van years ago and worth every penny.

Thanks for the advice.................Best reg's..........Martin.
Signum (ish) - whoopwhoop
Came across a lovely Metallic Blue one-owner FSH Mondeo ST-TDCI thingy a couple of weeks back. 99,000 miles, 56 plate. Fully loaded - OEM satnav, parking sensors, leather (or might have been half leather, I can't remember) recaros, bling 18" wheels and various buttons which probably do impressive things. FSH, mint condition and just had 9in the last month or so, £3k spent at main dealer on brakes all round, DMF, clutch and a load of other oily bits.

£6k ono!

Needless to say, it was snapped up quicker than a snappy thing.
Signum (ish) - Alby Back
I like that blue colour. I'm just afraid I might be too old for it. Having said that, Avant has just bought a sporty Skoda in their version of that colour and I think he's.....

Think I'd better go for a swim now.....

;-)
Signum (ish) - Avant
"....and I think he's....."

Sixty is the missing word!

Somehow I knew that it would be the Signum that went first, Humph! I'm sure you're not too old for an ST 155, on the grounds that no-one is too old for a car they like - or the colour they like. I can tell you I needed that blue after four silver cars in a row.

The Octavia vRS with the new CR diesel engine suits the (OK, possibly middle-aged) way I drive. I favour lots of low-down torque and don't go for engines where all the oomph is at the top end - but then I was the same when younger. I've never had or wanted an Alfa, for example.

My ideal engine (at least while I still do a highish mileage) is a 6-cylinder diesel. The best car I've had is still the A4 Avant 2.5 TDI - but even with the same 2.0 engine as in my Octavia the current A4 Avant is £6,000 more at list price, which I can neither afford nor justify. The 2.7 TDI is nearly £29k.

Did Vauxhall do a Signum with the 3.0 V6 diesel? I'm not a great fan of Vauxhalls but that might have been quite a car.
Signum (ish) - Dynamic Dave
Did Vauxhall do a Signum with the 3.0 V6 diesel?

Yes.

www.srba.cz/opel/files/pdf/srba-servis-vectra-spec...f

I am still thinking about getting one of these as they seem great value. (3.2 petrol), but the problem seems to be A. I haven't clapped eyes on one for yonks, maybe 6-9 months. Have never been in one and obviously they are as rare as as Rocking Horse Doo.

B. Would anyone car to give a view on the White one currently advertised in Auto trader.

C. If I went for a later model the Petrol becomes 2.8 Turbo. Quite an attractive proposition, but the 0-60 time is similar to the 3.2 normally aspirated lump, but I guess mid range is quicker? Does anybody have thought on longevity, reliability of these two engines. I guess the 3.2 is probably unburstable if looked after.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Martin D
Signum (ish) - Collos25
The 1.9 diesel is fastest enough with a 70mph limit in the UK I ran a 2.2 petrol for 6 months very bland interior (but nice looking) and the most stupid indicator lever I have ever come across.Have a look on the vectra forums front suspension,EGR and clutch seem to be the main problem areas.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 23/07/2009 at 08:43

The 1.9 diesel is fastest enough with a 70mph limit in the UK I ran
a 2.2 petrol for 6 months.

Thanks Andy, but I ain't going down the Diesel route as we only do 3-5k per annum. Yes I could probably get away with a Micra, but you know how it is. Nice V is the way for me. And 'er behind the doors will do as she's told...............*OUCH* sorry dear.

Now 3.2 or 2.8T come on come on.

Best reg's MD
Signum (ish) - Collos25
tinyurl.com/l6poyc
Heres one
tinyurl.com/l6poyc
Heres one

Yes Andy I have been watch ATrader closely. There was a white one on there until 2 days ago. 39k IIRC and one lady? owner. Seemed a bit too good to be true at £3490 down from 3 3/4 I spoke to the 'dealer' a week or so ago and to be frank I couldn't stand to listen to his Sarf Londin couldn't give a **** attitude. Probably cost me a good car, but too far to go to be lied to. I am in North Devon.

Regards......Martin.
Signum (ish) - LikedDrivingOnce
... the most stupid indicator lever I have ever come across.

Similar system to the one BMW use for indicators, though.

And you don't hear BMW drivers complaining about them.

Ah! Silly Me! Temporarily forgot that Beemer drivers don't use indicators.