DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - SaabFanatic
Quite possibly the most patronising rubbish I've heard all week:

www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/car_page_content/51...l

Would I be correct in thinking that AutoTrader receive quite a lot of advertising revenue from franchised dealers...?

WARNING: under absolutely no circumstances should you attempt to think for yourself. Let the motor industry do it for you.
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - bell boy
Most people these days dont know where their locking wheel key is never mind how to check the oil
its balderdash
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - NARU
I agree.

Why would anyone want to "break lights" (sic)???!!!!
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - oldnotbold
"70 per cent feeling confident to repair broken head or break lights."

Head lights almost invariably sealed units, and can be very easy if you can get access. Tail lights, ditto.

Patronising gits....
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - SpamCan61 {P}
" The Auto Trader survey found almost three quarters of motorists will try and replace brake pads or discs, with a further 70 per cent feeling confident to repair broken head or break lights. "

Nonsense. I doubt if three quarters of motorists could locate their brake pads, never mind try and change them.

so three quarters (75%) plus a further 70% - that's 145% of motorists so far then.

DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - SaabFanatic
Before attempting any work on safety-critical systems, you should always consult the marketing director of an advertising magazine.

This "motor industry" we're supposed to entrust our safety to - is this the same one that's conducted its affairs so well it now "needs" a £2,000 handout from the Taxpayer just to sell each car...?
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - DP
Don't forget servicing is pretty much the only profit centre the big dealers have left these days. They are going to protect their last decent revenue stream with propaganda like this.

Perhaps if some of them didn't charge £100+ per hour, people would stump up.

It's rot. Ignore it.

Edited by DP on 01/05/2009 at 14:21

DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - Rattle
I think it is a good thing if people are becoming more aware of what goes on inside their engine due to credit crunch. Perhaps more people are now checking their oil.
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - Snakey
Not wishing to knock mechanics at all, but when I do the 'breaks' :-) on my or my wifes car I bet I spend a lot more time and care doing them than a quick fit type of place.

And the last twice an appointed garage put new brake pads on my car they squeaked. In the last 20 or so times I've done it myself, they've never squeaked! Not a conclusive argument obviously!
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - Roly93
Don't forget servicing is pretty much the only profit centre the big dealers have left
these days. They are going to protect their last decent revenue stream with propaganda like
this.
Perhaps if some of them didn't charge £100+ per hour people would stump up.

This is very true indeed. I think I am an above average DIY mechanic, and I would be more willing to pay garages to do stuff if they didn't charge these crazy labour rates.
I see also, that the EU have recently been looking at the possibility of bringing in legislation which prevents car manufacturers from making their cars 'main dealer only' serviceable by various means. I think the good independant garages deserve a chance here, instead of going out of business in droves.
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - George Porge
I'm a DIYer, I'll tackle most things, I was bought up with it. However I know plenty of people who can't do even the most basic of job on home or car, some of these people are now skint and are having to improvise for the first time in their lives, its a steep learning curve for some................................
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - Tron
Nigel Gresham.

Experts found the calliper on the offside front brake was larger than the one on the nearside front brake, which caused the car to slew when the brakes were applied.

How many other idiots out there do fixit jobs like that - thankfully not many or we would like to think so.

He killed 4 innocent children when his landrover failed to navigate around another vehicle, it left the road and ended up in the River Witham, at Coningsby in Lincolnshire last year.

So in some cases, yes, diy servicing & repairs to your vehicle is shocking to say the least.

Gresham received a two year custodial in January of 2009 after evidence given stated:

Nigel Gresham made a series of dangerously inept repairs and modifications intended to transform his 12-seat 4x4 into an off-road vehicle using parts from five different Land Rovers.

DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - pmh2
The photo in the article appears to show a foreign registered car - can anybody identify it?

My first guess would be a Lancia - but I not very confident!

p
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - SlidingPillar
in reply to Tron

Please not this one again.

Landrovers are like Lego, you can assemble a perfectly good one from a dozen donor vehicles. The fact this one wasn't is another matter.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 01/05/2009 at 16:12

DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - v8man
There will always be the inept carrying dangerous and sub-standard work on cars. Also this applies to some garages I might add!
Same applies to DIY electrical work round the house, I have seen some 'shocking' stuff.
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - Garethj
There will always be the inept carrying dangerous and sub-standard work on cars. Also this applies to some garages I might add!

I agree!
SlidingPillar @ Fri 1 May 09 15:11 wrote:

>>Landrovers are like Lego you can assemble a perfectly good one from a dozen donor
>>vehicles. The fact this one wasn't is another matter.

Lego is a toy, designed for children.

Cars are not for children or inept adults to start to 'cut & shut' bits to a frame when they do not have a clue what they are doing.

Edited by Tron on 01/05/2009 at 17:57

DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - mss1tw
How do you cut and shut bits to a frame? :-S
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - spikeyhead {p}
I'm quite capable of doing almost anything I want to a car.

Most of the time I'll get a trusted mechanic to do work as I pay trade rates. If it wasn't for that I'd do much more of my own work.

No problem with anyone that's capable of working on their own car, you tend to take more care when it's your own.

ETA, almost every terrible car I've ever seen hasn't had any servicing done to it.

Edited by spikeyhead {p} on 01/05/2009 at 19:37

How do you cut and shut bits to a frame? :-S

Hint Try researching on how building a stretch limo is done and Heck, this forum really has reached a low level with stupid dumb ass 'troll' like comments.

No wonder so many constructive threads die or get killed off as quickly as they are. Is that clear enough?! LOL!

Edited by Tron on 01/05/2009 at 20:00

DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - TurboD
My view is that dealer serving is paid for by those who want to 'get the book stamped' in the 'hope' that this will add value when it comes round to be ripped off again for another car.

But does this work?, I do not know as I never sell cars to dealers and the private buyer has always looked at the condition of the motor and how well it is maintained from a visual, and I hasten to add, verbal description by the honest seller ( me).
Backed up by owning it for some years.
The dealers I have bought from are basically liars at worst or devious at the best.
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - madf
My DIY servicing is so bad that the cars I look after are complimented on their condition by the MOT mechanic..

I must be doing something wrong...
Hehe I have a mate like that always washed his car and takes care of underdeath. MOT man said to him "this is the best 01 206 we have ever seen, not a single spec of rust on it" it has 80k on the clock (it is the 2.0 GTI) it has been trashed a lot (but only when oil is up to temp) and it still sounds and runs like a brand new engine.

I always tease him that he will still own that car when he is 60.
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - oilrag
Did you grease your brake pipes yet Rattle ;-)
Not had chance they all look quite new anyway all I have done to my car in the last 200 miles is driven it (I have washed and polished it twice though!). On a nice warm day in the summer I will put a lot of greese underneath but there is very very little rust there atm.

DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - oilrag
Good to hear you`re getting around in it ;-)
DIY servicing - "shocking", apparently - Lud
I always tease him that he will still own that car when he is 60.

206 is a whippersnapper's car. So quite appropriate that yr friend should still have it when he is still a whippersnapprer.
His has 180bhp to play with though! I drove it once got into third got scared whimped out, I will stick with my 65bhp thank you!