Omega rust and final drive whine - geoff C
I have been looking for an Omega to replace my 14 year old Carlton and have found a large proportion of those inspected to have rust under the paint beneth the winding window seals on one or more doors. This can be detected as bumps by running a finger along the rubber, even if the paint has not begun to blister wher it can be seen. This looks like a serious and expensive problem to rectify, and very disappointing to find on 3 to 4 year old cars.

A 94k mile example which I drove had a whine from the rear, even at low speed.

I have been surprised not to see these mentioned on this forum. Perhaps the noisy axle is uncommon, but the paint problem is clearly not.

Omega rust and final drive whine - Dynamic Dave
The paint problem along the bottom edge of the window seals also affected the some of the early Mark3 Astra's. Local body shop who get the majority of work from the Vauxhall franchise up the road sent loads of Astra's down to be resprayed. Anyone who complained to Vauxhall about the paint blistering as you describe, got the work done for free. Apparantely it was caused by a poor batch of window seals. The clips that held the rubber window seals on were supposed to be encased in rubber so that it didn't scratch and remove the paint upon fitting. Some weren't finished properly and the clips were left exposed, hence scratching the paint when they were assembled. Water got trapped behind the seals and corroded the exposed metal. The water crept under the paint. That's what caused the blistering.
Omega rust and final drive whine - L'escargot
I used to have a corroded Vauxhall. Whenever I looked at it, the opera Cavalliera Rusticana always came to mind !!
Omega rust and final drive whine - svpworld
Hey can't we create a new category folder in the BackRoom for Omega questions? I'm sure there are so many popping up, we could have a dedicated group for them!

S.

Is there a car from the last 5 years or so that comes anywhere near to being as bad as the Omega(not counting the Rover 800 series),not many about that are not full of very annoying/expensive problems.I almost forgot to add,because you rarely see them working properly,just how bad is that MFD screen in the Omega dash,life expectancy at least 9 months!
For every bad one I think there are many good ones, mines running fine having clocked up over 93K miles in 3 yrs, displays and all lighting still working 100% (touches head) and all electrics and auto box running smoothly. At least if there is a problem its not going to require a remortgage to fix it!

S.

"MFD" ?
Omega rust and final drive whine - John S
Multi Function Display (radio/date, outside temperature etc) Laer ones seem better, but I've seen a few Vectras of about '96/97 vintage where these have lost a few segments.

Regards

John S
Omega rust and final drive whine - T Lucas
'Multi Function Display'.SVP,good to know yours is OK,i guess there are always exceptions.
Omega rust and final drive whine - Mark (RLBS)
Currently got two Omegas - both work. Although since one is a two month old rental car, I'd guess it is to be expected that that one works.

M.
Maybe its because mine is only the single unit without the trip computer (my car is the GLS), I guess they might be more reliable!

S.
Is there a car from the last 5 years or so
that comes anywhere near to being as bad as the Omega

Mate has got an "S" reg v6. Had it since it was 2 years old. Ex lease vehicle. Had no problems with it whatsoever. Almost 80k on the clock.
Omega rust and final drive whine - T Lucas
Well good,thats got that sorted,i was wrong and Omegas are in fact,'pretty good cars'Me and Elvis though can live without them!
Omega rust and final drive whine - Crombster
Perhaps we have not all reached retirement age and fail to see the Rover 75 as an acceptable alternative...