93 1.9 diesel - Starting Problems - neilo575
Hi I have a Mreg turbo diesel .It has a strange problem when starting .Some times it turns over and starts fine other times when the key is turned it just clicks after up to 6 trys it then starts as normal .I have changed the solinoid and swapped the battery (all be it a second hand one ) As the same problem exsisted with last battery .I am now wondering is it a duff battery or the starter is sticking any ideas ?.Are there any relays that might be breaking down in the circuit.It's getting a little worrying now as I never quite know if it will start.

Thanks Neil

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/04/2009 at 13:35

93 1905 Startnig Problems - Peter.N.
Try connecting a lead from battery + to the small terminal on the starter, if that works OK the main supply to the starter maybe intermittently missing. I have had a problem with the lead from the batery not making contact with the terminal on the solonoid, even though the nut was tight, due to oxidisation, clean the surface of the tag and the bolt. If it doesn't work by touching the small terminal wit 12 volts but still clicks, its probably the brushes on the motor.