Snow Tyres & Automatics - paul2007
Hello

We have bought new home, will move in next week.

slightly worring, the hous is in a cul-de-sac, has approx 15 gradient towards our new home.

I drive a C class 200k auto, 57 plate, w203 type - got stuck iv the snow we had recevtly in London

will snow tyreshelpov rear wheels?

Has some one here changed avd driven a rear wheel auto car with snow/wver tyrs? Avy good?

The merc, just slid, tractiov covtrol was off, pulling away or trying to in a higher gear - took us 40mins for the usal 5 min rip - parked up car & did not drive for 2 days

All help appreciated
:)
Snow Tyres & Automatics - boxsterboy
Winter tyres make a world of difference.

I put them (Michelin Pilot Alpins) on our E-class in December through till the end of March every year. During the snow this February I got stuck behind another E-class on an untreated hill road. He was going nowhere, whereas from a standing start on the hill I was able to pull out and drive past him. I still wish I could see what was going through his head as he saw an apparently identical car drive past him, hope lessly stricken ...

Another example. A couple of years ago in the Alps father in law in 4x4 Subaru Forester (normal tyres) spun his wheels more than our rear drive car with winter tyres. Of course I would like to think it was my superior driving skills, but I know it was the tyres...

You can use them all year round, but they give benefits when the temperatures are below about 7 degrees. They are a softer compound and so are quieter. And they are no more expensive, because when you have them fitted you are not wearing out your other tyres.
Thank you very much.

I'm looking for cheaper tyres but no yet checked out the prices - presently ihave 225/55 or 50/16 ov the rear = Conti Sport Contact 2.
The ones you mention, if good all year round, may for the first time have these on the rear and normal on the front
Cheers
checked ov tyre site.
scored 1:9 on tyre site. 6 equates t bad and 1 = v good

cost, surprised, ovly 108 quid for the V rated tyres
Snow Tyres & Automatics - gordonbennet
Vredestein Wintracs on the pick up, our driveway is probably similar gradient to yours, vehicle just dug its way out in RWD only in approx 6" of snow.

I wouldn't use winter tyres all year, the exception being some Nokian tyres (possibly the WR) which are designed for all year round use, difficult to find Nokians at reasonable prices here though.
They are expensive, and usually wear quickly in warmer temperatures, by the time winter arrives again they might be getting thin, and should be renewed at 4mm apparently.

I understand mixing winter and summer tyres as you are thinking of front/rear isn't recommended due to the differing levels of grip.
Haven't tried mixing myself, only going by advice.

I wouldn't be without good winter tyres again by choice.
Thanks Gordon

I've never mixed tyres on a car other than in an emergency years ago. Important to have good, equal grip all round.

will research.

Btw, the drive is level-ish, but the road to our home at the top of the culdesac appears to be the problem.

I see the new Peugeot 3008 (an SUV-style faux x 4) has the option of an electronic traction aid, which is supposed to offer improved grip in snowy or muddy conditions, and when you have this option it has 'M/S' tyres - which I pressume is mud/snow tyres.

Winter tyres are a softer compound and logic suggests they would wear quicker than normal compound. Having said that I've used our winter tyres for 4 winters now (probably about 10,000 miles) and there is still plenty of tread depth.

I wouldn't mix winter tyres on the rear and normal on the front.
Snow Tyres & Automatics - Bill Payer
Winter tyres are a softer compound and logic suggests they would wear quicker than
normal compound.

You would think that, but there an owner (one of the moderators) on a Mercedes forum I frequent who gets 40K from winter tyres, running them year round. That's way more than most owners get from summer tyres.
Snow Tyres & Automatics - dxp55
years ago I had a Auto Ford Zodiac - rear wheel drive and had a spare set of wheels for back with set of remould Mud & Snow tyres on - never had a problem but I did have a Jag Auto box in boot along with anything else heavy I could get in.
Snow Tyres & Automatics - daveyjp
A colleague had winter tyres on his Pug - treadwear was rated at 600. Summer tend to be 150-400.

I wouldn't worry about winter tyres for occasional snow - if you've moved to where it is guaranteed to snow then they may be worthwhile.

In 20 years I've been unable to get on my drive from a sloping cul-de-sac once, but I'd been in the car 8 hours to cover just 20 miles so I couldn't be bothered clearing the snow - I just left the car on a side street and walked home.
Snow Tyres & Automatics - Mike H
A colleague had winter tyres on his Pug - treadwear was rated at 600. Summer
tend to be 150-400.
I wouldn't worry about winter tyres for occasional snow - if you've moved to where
it is guaranteed to snow then they may be worthwhile.

Don't get confused between "winter" and "snow". I have a flat in Austria which involves three trips down every winter, so I have a set of winter tyres with snow rating. The difference on wet roads (which we get a lot of in the UK) has convinced me that, even in the relatively snow-free south of the UK, there are significant benefits in using winter tyres as a matter of course due to the added grip and resistance to aquaplaning. I would probably never have bothered if I hadn't needed them for Austria (legal requirement), but wouldn't go back to ordinary all year round ("summer") tyres for the winter now.

Can recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s - incredibly good on wear and very quiet. The fronts on my Saab 9-5 Aero estate have covered over 20,000 miles and are good for another winter when they'll be down to 4mm, which is the legal limit for snow use in Austria - not bad for a heavy 265bhp FWD car. The rears have hardly worn at all.
My winter tyres (Pilot Alpins) are so much quieter than my normal tyres (Conti Sport Contacts), that I am tempted to use them all year round.