Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - FotheringtonThomas
I purchased a second-hand component from a breaker - about £50 including postage. The part was supplied with a three month guarantee.

I had specified clearly by original Web request/e-mail/telephone what was required,and retain records.

The component that they sent was not the correct one.

They sent another component when I told them. This was the correct one, but unserviceable. Not I have two parts, one incorrect but OK, one correct but U/S.

I have now decided to buy a new component, rather than wait about for more wrong/US ones to be sent. I want to return the one(s) they have already sent.

The breaker wants me to pay for return post, as well as a 25% "restocking charge", for the faulty component.

I do not think this is right - the component is faulty, so there should not be a "re-stocking charge" - they should not sell it to someone else. As they guarantee the part, why should I pay postage?

I have not yet asked them what to do about the wrong (but good) part they sent.

What should I do?
Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - Rattle
Unless the part was sold as faulty then he cannot charge you a 25% stocking fee, he has to refund you in full. There is plenty advice on the internet regarding this and I think you may need to threaten them with trading standards.

Why does it seem most people in this breaking industry don't know how to operate within the law? I would not dream of selling a faulty second hand motherboard and then if somebody returned it asking for a 25% stocking fee.
Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - Dipstick
Isn't this just a DSR breach, assuming you notified in seven days?

Assuming you did, you just tell them the order is cancelled as the goods are faulty. You don't have to return the goods at all, just make them available for them to collect if they want.

DSR regs at

www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/.../

I suppose I should put the inevitable ianal here.

Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - Hamsafar
If you paid by credit card, you can do a chargeback or adjustment by telephoning them and asking for the disputes dept. You are unlikely to get repaid return postage this way though, so best to make them available for their own courier to collect.
Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - oldnotbold
If they have sent faulty/wrong items then you are entitle to 100% refund of cost and postage.

Getting that back is another matter altogether. Not worth getting legal about it, sadly.
Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - smokie
Interesting. What if the goods go faulty after a period of use, within the warranty period? Who's responsible for return postage?
Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - Hamsafar
ooops! site back up and wrong topic.

Edited by Hamsafar on 24/04/2009 at 12:22

Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - bell boy
most breakers who do a service by post that sells second hand goods tell you you will be responsible for the return of faulty goods postage
i believe part of the reason is the amount of people who would try on to send back the faulty bit they took off their own car
ive been in breakers where people have returned faulty starter motors only to see that they have swapped over the whole internals

to the op i cant give you an answer but ive never had a problem so far, but am careful on what i source via post,for instance i would be wary of articles that go off when stood in a damp shed at the breakers
Secondhand parts posted/received - returns? - FotheringtonThomas
most breakers who do a service by post that sells second hand goods tell you
you will be responsible for the return of faulty goods postage

There was no mention of this in my contacts with them.

This component is U/S due to being worn out. It is not a "gone off" issue.