95 1.14 thermostat changed. engine overheats - thecar
the metro again
had head gasket changed car runs ok
for some reason car was over heating with thermostat in
without thermostat car dosnt overheat. fan comes in just before it gets to max temp on
temp gage
this morning tried new thermostat and still car over heats with stat in
fan dosnt come on have changed fan swith new stat as well
could there be a problem as having stat in causing head gasket going in the the first place without stat in car runs ok and when gets hot fan comes in
hope you understand what i mean
you help thks

header given a less vague title again! It would help us (as well as you) to give a brief description of the problem in the header, rather than something like "help please desparate".

1. It saves us having to edit it.
2. It gives people a clue as to the question you're asking.

Thankyou

Edited by Webmaster on 24/04/2009 at 11:05

95 1.14 thermostat changed. engine overheats - Collos25
You have an air lock in the system is my guess.
95 1.14 thermostat changed. engine overheats - Peter D
Sounds like this all started with the impellor spinning on the water pump shaft, over head and HG failure. New HG but still overheating even with a new stat and overheats with no stat so suspect water flow. Regards Peter
tks for your reply what would you suggest
is it ok to drive without stat in car
tks for your reply
why would the fan come on without the stat in and not with it in
if there was an air lock would this make any differance
new water pump fitted
Bizarre. Long shot, you can not put the stat in the wrong way round can you. However without the stat the fan comes on which implies the rad is getting pretty hot. You need to borrow an infrared gun to observe the heat distribution. I assume the system is not over pressurising. Does it heat up quickly and have you driven it. I'm wondering if you have a cam timing issue. Regards Peter
tks again for your help
this is strange what happens
the fan only starts when stat is not in car
it runs fine so think timming is ok does get warm quick but thought that could be to sitting in traffic
If the stat is not opening i.e. stuck/jammed then the fan will not cut in and the engine overheats as it can not circulate the water. If there is no air lock, a new pump the right HG fitted then it appears it is a stat problem like the wrong gasket or fitted incorrectly. Regards Peter
pete tks for your help
stat is working new water pump and no air locks
it just only gets hot when stat is fitted and fan dosnt cut in
without stat fan cuts in when engine hot
95 1.14 thermostat changed. engine overheats - Dynamic Dave
tks for your help

Not sure if it's been mentioned previously to you or not, but 'txt' talk is something that this forum frowns upon, DD, BR Moderator.
If the stat was working it would open at 88 odd degrees and hot water would rush to the rad and eventually trigger the fan switch. Are you suggesting that with a stat the top hose does not get hot before the engine overheats. Regards Peter
fixed many thanks for your help
it was a faulty thermastat this is the 3 one
I hope you bought a different make. I never fit a stat without testing it in boiling water first. Regards Peter