Cars are too good for most of us now. - Lud
Just as I feared...

Cars are too good for most of us now.

Modern diesels are fitted with particulate filters that only work properly if you drive the car at moderate speeds at least part of the time. If you crawl pathetically about mimser-style and never let the thing breathe, it clogs up and costs you money and makes you whinge about it. But it's your damn fault.

So I suspect is damage to dual mass flywheels. You have been taught to abuse the clutch by your driving instructor and are too damn thick to stop doing it. And it costs you. And you whinge.

Same sort of thing with firm, sporting brake setups. Mimse around town in your 911 without ever giving it a proper blast on twisty roads and the rear discs get severely corroded through total lack of use.

Wouldn't most of you be happier in buses and taxis? It would cost you less and you wouldn't have to cudgel your brains trying to get compensation from car manufacturers or sympathy from the thugs who post here. And you wouldn't be in the damn way any more either.

Get rid of your cars now, and stop being a pain.

Edited by Honestjohn on 23/04/2009 at 20:02

Just as I feared... - Rattle
I realise your this post has some sarcasitc elements to it. However we do need to change our driving habits. I think more and more people will become like me and use a mixture of transport, car, buses, trams, trains etc I use them all every week.

My car costs around £25 a week to keep including repairs, insurance, petrol etc so it is still a lot cheaper than using taxis the occasions when I do use my car. The house I have to visit tomorrow morning cost me £15 to get to by taxi, takes 45 mins by bus if you including waiting time or 20 minutes in my car, that is an extra 25 mins to spend on my business or in reality post on here.

Now then does anybody know Gordon Browns address and does anybody have some spare V8s? I have an idea....
Just as I feared... - Pugugly
Gordon Browns address

10, Downing Street, London. SW1A 2AA
Just as I feared... - smokie
Did someone hide Lud's medication? :-)

Not quite sure what this post is about or where it will lead, but if said thugs turn out in force you know what will happen...
Possibly end up in the silly bin :).

Just been on my first bus in a week doing as Gordon Brown has told me so, miss all the interlectual conversion you get with homeless tramps on the bus, or the scally wags playing their gansta rap music at top volume.

Edited by rtj70 on 23/04/2009 at 20:50

Just as I feared... - GroovyMucker
I'd love to be able to take a train or bus to work, despite the antisocial idiots who take up two seats with their coats/bags/whatever when occupying one, but my journey each way would double, to something like 80 mins. Indeed, the office has recently moved from being opposite the railway station to out-of-town (with no bus link).

And there is no public transport linking my office to the three other places I have to visit regularly.

Until we get public transport sorted out, people will still use cars.
Just as I feared... - mss1tw
I even drive on nights out 9/10 times now, last train back from Kingston on a Wednesday at 23.30, pointless. Buses not an option either, taxis ££££
Just as I feared... - Lud
Medication? Silly bin?

I am completely serious. Government propaganda and people's own wimpishness have produced a situation where a lot of the cars they think they want fail or don't work properly. In other words our cars are superior in many cases to us. It would be a good idea if those wasting their money on these cars saved it, and stayed off the roads and out of the way.

Rattle has already suggested moving this thread. Pretty soon some po-faced carphound will propose locking it on the ground that it isn't about motoring, or is upsetting to those of delicate sensibility.
Just as I feared... - FotheringtonThomas
Government propaganda and people's own wimpishness have produced a situation
where a lot of the cars they think they want fail or don't work properly.

I don't understand that.

Nurse!!
Just as I feared... - Martin Devon
I am completely serious. Government propaganda and people's own wimpishness have produced a situation where

>
Rattle has already suggested moving this thread. Pretty soon some po-faced carphound will propose locking
it on the ground that it isn't about motoring or is upsetting to those of
delicate sensibility.

I NEED to meet this man. At long last, someone with a brain and who is not afraid to transfer it in to words. Brilliant and oh so true.

My very best regards.................Martin D.
And location.

If I was a manager and had to locate an office my first pirioty would be access by public transport. I would not want to put my workforce in a position where they felt they needed a car just to get to work, if it was next to a busy bus station or railway station my staff and I would have the choice.

The other benefits of this is access to higher quality personel not everybody has a driving licence or even wants to drive so by making sure work is accessible by public transport you increase access to staff.

I believe firms should have an incentive to move to places which are near public transport and this would conteract the higher rent costs.

We keep being told to use public transport but the reality is it doesn't take us all to work :( I believe some people use this an excuse where other cases are genuine.
Just as I feared... - jc2
If you want Gordon's address,try 10,Downing St.;his direct website was closed down.
I meant his real address where he lives when he is not attending parliment. The problem with Downing Street is security won't let me access it on foot, yet alone a group of people in V8 chevys filled up with fuel from France :D.
Just as I feared... - Old Navy
I meant his real address where he lives when he is not attending parliment. The
problem with Downing Street is security won't let me access it on foot yet alone
a group of people in V8 chevys filled up with fuel from France :D.

I drive past GBs house occaisionally, the security is impressive, (and expensive, guess who pays for it). I dont think you would get near that either.

Edited by Old Navy on 23/04/2009 at 18:49

Just as I feared... - Lud
Listen. In the OP I was having a go at mimsers and wimps and bad drivers, all right, a bit tongue in cheek.

How has the thread come to be a succession of ghastly tory rants and people going on about the prime minister who, poor fellow, is at least getting it from more serious givers than anyone here?

Just remember which party it was that really demolished public transport in this country, dunderheads. And by the way, at least one of Rattle's sallies is so out of order that I am surprised the website - quite sensitive about some things - hasn't censored it.
Just as I feared... - Old Navy
quite sensitive about some things - hasn't censored it. >>

Tory views on a Telegraph sponsored website, now thats a surprise !
Just as I feared... - bathtub tom
Lud.

You started it..........

When I feel like that, I get out of bed the other side, where my happy pills are. ;>)
Sorry if I caused offence, I know the last torie government caused damage to public transport but labour have been in power 12 years now and have done nothing to reverse things.

I feel this government have introduced so many rules I feel this country is slowly turning into a prison camp, yes I know we are very free compared to a lot of countries but unless thigns change now things will be horrible in ten years time.

Just as I feared... - smokie
Enough!! Absolutely No More Politics!!

Can we return to Lud's original point and stick with it please...
Just as I feared... - jc2
I can remember,many years ago,doing a "U" turn in Downing St. and also on another occasion,my wife and I were walking past No. 11 on the Sunday before the Budget when the Chancellor,his wife and a photographer came out and we all walked down to St. Jame's Pk. chatting.No security,BBC or anyone else.The Chancellor's name was Barber(long time ago).
Just as I feared... - Happy Blue!
Well I cycled to work toady and will do so tomorrow weather permitting. No wear and tear on the brakes, DMF or DPF especially as my car has neither a DMF or DPF and the brakes get a good sort out each time I drive out of my steep drive.
Just as I feared... - oilrag
. "You have been taught to abuse the clutch by your driving instructor and are too damn thick to stop doing it."

Never a truer word.... Lets hope the tread can get back on topic to discuss the reality of it Lud.

I suspect people think you are joking, but as I agree with every word, I know you`re not. In the name of balance and freedom of speech in a censoring and survailence environment I would just like to add two words. Tony Benn. God bless him - if there is such an entity..which I suspect there is not.... or he would have been Prime Minister these last 30 years..

I think red braces, ties, City bankers and Satan rule really - perhaps personified in the witlessness evidenced daily on the roads.

Regards
Just as I feared... - JH
oilrag, nah. It's just that we're all descended from the survivors of the crash of the "B" ark. Hence we're doomed. Read The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, the greatest work of political & social satire since Swift.
JH
Just as I feared... - Martin Devon
When I feel like that I get out of bed the other side where my
happy pills are. ;>)

>>Pils aren't happy, they're Lager. Drink Bitter. Sleep, don't fight!!

MD
Just as I feared... - Mapmaker
a group of people in V8 chevys filled up with fuel from France :D.

Why do you want to pay more for your petrol?
Just as I feared... - Andrew-T
Until we get public transport sorted out, people will still use cars

Yes, yes, GM - but as long as we all use cars, no-one will want to waste money running public transport hardly anyone uses. Circular argument.

From the 1930s onwards people gradually stopped using trains because they found other forms of transport more convenient. Thirty years later hardly any railway lines ran trains which stopped at small stations. A few have revived, but unless they can be profitable why should they exist?
Cars are too good for most of us now. - JH
Well I agree with you Lud. I've thought for many years that the capability of the modern car exceeds the capability of the nut behind the wheel. It wasn't always so. And to drive a modern car, even an average family model, to it's limit would be lunacy. Austin A35 anyone a la James Hunt?
JH
Cars are too good for most of us now. - Alby Back
I think that's the reason I like driving our Ka sometimes. No abs, no esp, just bluebottle responses and most of the time it's all happening at legal speeds. Proper driving.
Cars are too good for most of us now. - mike hannon
>. "You have been taught to abuse the clutch by your driving instructor and are too damn thick to stop doing it."<

That's interesting, isn't it? In 1967 I went out for a lesson with a driving school instructor, using my father's trusty old Austin A55 Mk 2. After half an hour of 'abuse' of the clutch I said to the instructor 'if we are going to go on doing this, can we please go back and get the driving school car'.l
Maybe I was an arrogant little s*d all those years ago, but I never murdered a clutch in best part of a million miles.
Mind you, the only clutch I use these days is on my friend's C3 and I don't know how I'll explain it away if it fails. I guess, being an oiler, it probably has a DMF as well...

Cars are too good for most of us now. - oilrag
"oilrag, nah. It's just that we're all descended from the survivors of the crash of the "B" ark."

I always assumed something pulled the chain in low earth orbit JH.... Apart from road-kill the average animal could likely be better trained to operate a clutch using a little operant conditioning.
How come driving instructors turn out `clutch incontinence` ` in Homo *selfservicus.

* Best known for the motto of "Why should In deny myself" (Be that plonkering the clutch or stuffing in another double greaseburger with fries and sugar drink)

Cars are too good for most of us now. - Martin Devon
* Best known for the motto of "Why should In deny myself" (Be that plonkering
the clutch or stuffing in another double greaseburger with fries and sugar drink)

We are going to start a new club here, I know it, I really really do.

We shall forthwith, on this day, become the LUDdites and state our case and the facts as we see them and if the Magistrates decide to ban and fine us so be it and just as an aside...

If my name were Alastair and Darling in one breath,
I'd buy a gun, track down me Mum,
And shoot the Cow to death!!

Yours, embittered (Abbot Ale)....MD.

Cars are too good for most of us now. - bathtub tom
>>Yours, embittered (Abbot Ale)....MD.

Don't be so blinkered, get down to Wetherspoon's ale festival.

I did earlier tonight, hence these incoherent posts.
Cars are too good for most of us now. - bell boy
ive not been but i like the idea of 3 tasters for the price of a pint

i hate it when in a strange town and have to ask for a pint of mine hosts most popular ale as they always think im nuts
Cars are too good for most of us now. - Rattle
Wetherspoons in the a motoring forum, I though drink driving didn't mix :p

I must admit a couple of years ago we would all shun wetherspoons but I am going there a lot more often now, yes its full of old smelly men but it has a good selection of booze at good prices that is all that matters after a few pints.

am going there a lot more often now yes its full of old smelly men

>
excuse me
Cars are too good for most of us now. - Rattle
Hehe, I live in a fairly trendy area with lots of wine bars, trendy bars etc and then in all that there is a Wetherspoons as its the only pub that dosn't play music it attracts a lot of OAPs who live in the pub from 11:am in the morning till midnight.

I actually quite like it but I miss the livlier places, I miss the clubs in town but it has become apparant I am too old for that at the grand old age of 26 :(.

I am motorist now anyway so my blood alchohol level has to stay down.
Cars are too good for most of us now. - oilrag
We were at the Trafford Centre yesterday (first time in 3 years) and there were flakes of rust on the Manchester ring road.
In the coffee bar a group of twenty somethings were all discussing their brake lines and metal fuel tanks and advocating Castrol CL waterproof grease. One of them said " I`m going to get out and get under" and they all burst into song.

I woke up then and it had been a dream (maybe...) the latter as opposed to the former - for who knows the true definition of reality? (or even the true meaning of true) and whether the human brain can only grasp infinity in the simplest sense - perhaps like a motorist contemplating the clutch and having a mental image of a lemon flan.
Cars are too good for most of us now. - sierraman
I don't think many motorists contemplate a clutch,don't have a clue how it works and wouldn't know a DMF if it fell on their head,otherwise they would not be bobbing up and down on hills to save themselves the bother of doing a hill start.
Cars are too good for most of us now. - smokie
Knowledge of how a clutch works isn't essential for car ownership or driving. I have no idea how a TV works but it doesn't stop me using one, and I bet I'm not alone there.
First thing my driving instructer taught me were clutch principles and how to get it to just bite on a hill start as an example
Im sure ive said it before but the standard of driving instructers these days is appaling as is the standard of beat car bobbies
Cars are too good for most of us now. - William Stevenson
First thing my driving instructer taught me were clutch principles and how to get it
to just bite on a hill start as an example
Im sure ive said it before but the standard of driving instructers these days is
appaling as is the standard of beat car bobbies

And spelling.
>> have no idea how a TV works but it doesn't stop me using one

Yes but with all due respect, smokie, you don't drive a TV set, you just turn it on and off and press buttons to change the channel. Opportunities for TV abuse are few; opportunities for car abuse come thick and fast once you set the thing in motion...
Cars are too good for most of us now. - JH
Oilrag, "We were at the Trafford Centre yesterday".

My commiserations :-) I've only been 3 times since it opened. The worst visit was with the in-laws. She gets excited and wanders off. :-(

JH
Cars are too good for most of us now. - DP
Happier in buses and cars? Hmmm. I was beginning to wonder.

With the daily drudgery of a long commute, during which I encounter chronic traffic problems, multiple SPECS stretches, ANPR, and road surfaces that wouldn't look out of place in Beirut, it is easy to lose track of why I love cars and love driving. The commute is something to be endured, not enjoyed, and consists of probably 80% of my mileage nowadays.

Then, on the spur of the moment, and for no reason in particular, I went out for a blast last night for the first time in many months. I took the Golf, mostly because I haven't really driven it in anger yet, and to get to know it a bit better. Getting in a fair to middling handling, diesel "warm hatch" last night, and giving it some beans on some empty local B-roads put a whole new slant on driving again. Or more accurately put an old slant back on it that the doom mongers would have us believe has long gone.

The car was good, but not perfect. The ever present, stupid VAG engine management software that can't handle left foot braking or heel and toeing, the chassis that doesn't ride well, or resist roll particularly effectively, the ever present DMF waiting to grenade itself, but you know what? On the right road and in the right mood, just being in a car and driving it hard and for the hell of it is still all you need to feel good. The Golf has decent steering, excellent brakes, and slightly nose heavy, but good enough balance to entertain. And wow , it's quick between the bends! Who says diesels are no good for this kind of driving - there's even sharp enough response to the accelerator to let you balance the car mid corner.

But in that kind of mood, I suspect anything would have done, even a disastrous modern DPF equipped, Euro IV contraption with a knackered flywheel. Driving is still fun, and there are plenty of us that still love it. And last night I reminded myself why I'm one of them.

Edited by Webmaster on 21/05/2009 at 01:46

Cars are too good for most of us now. - Alby Back
Quite right DP. I have in the past been lucky enough to have long term use of some cars with very powerful engines, sporting pretensions and with the fuel paid for by someone else. What could be better ? I'll tell you what, a modest car on an open road where you can drive the doorhandles off it without getting too illegal, that's what....

;-)
Cars are too good for most of us now. - Garethj
Lud is one of a few posters I'd buy a beer....

I suppose we've all got what we asked for - cars that are unstressful to drive for hours at motorway speeds, quiet, strong, smooth - this means that when you're loafing along on A roads at less than half the car's top speed it all feels dead.

Motorcycles usually feel more alive, and the threat of being killed tends to keep you on your toes too. Otherwise, I'd encourage everyone to try a driver's car on a good road just to see how good it can be. If you can dodge the traffic and you're in the right car, even the commute can be fun.

Then get back in the bland-mobile and get in Lud's way ;-)
Cars are too good for most of us now. - Brian Tryzers
This thread has wandered quite a way from Lud's original point, but I think it was a good one. I'd like to suggest that the Golden Age of Motoring was not in the 1920s or the 1950s, as some would have it; rather, it lasted from about 1987 to 2002.

Consider the evidence: by the late 1980s we had most of the features that make modern cars so much easier to live with than their predecessors - non-rusting bodies, electronic ignition, fuel injection, central locking, tubeless tyres... I bought my first car, new, in 1989, and neither it nor its four successors has ever had a mechanical failure - or even a puncture - that left the car unable to get me home. I've never even had to add oil to the engine between services.

Contrast this with the earlier 'Golden Ages', when one was ill-advised to leave home without a full toolkit, spare belts and top-ups for just about everything, and a sound knowledge of what to do with them - and still the engine would overheat in a summer-holiday queue on the A30.

While I've never taken the Car As Appliance view, nor have I been a mechanical obsessive. I've checked tyres, oil and washer fluid regularly (although not as regularly as I should) and kept a careful record of my fuel purchases and consumption, but otherwise I've trusted the car to do what I required of it.

Contrast that to today, and people not much less mechanically sympathetic than me find that - as Lud describes so piquamment - simply owning, maintaining and using a car are no longer enough to keep it working well. Perhaps this is the price we now have to pay for what we now recognize as a privilege - whatever The (Mythical) Motorist might say - but whatever the reason, things ain't what they used to be.
Cars are too good for most of us now. - Altea Ego

Alas, if you read LUDs post and all that it means he is advocating the abolition of freedom of choice of cars. I know his intent was to berate those who do not use their cars properly or exploit all the capabilities they have - but take this to the logical argument and he is leading us to the single car for all purposes road. The 2009 version of the trabant if you will. If you want a car then this is the only one there is. The government approved special.
What garbage AE.

I was saying in effect, if your car is too good for you why not give it up and use a transport system you can manage (eg bus or taxi)?

This wouldn't apply to me and I doubt if it would apply to you. But it does seem to apply to quite a few people.

Government approved special indeed! Snort!

See thats the trouble with your radical free thinkers (and the moaners and groaners and mr angry tin foil head from tunbridge wells)

You dont think through the consequences of your actions. I believe in the sparrow equation.
. if your warm and happy in your pile of merde, keep your beak shut.
Are you all right AE?
Yes Perfectly

Thank you for your concern Lud. Most gratifying and no a little heartwarming
Cars are too good for most of us now. - nick
As it was such a nice day I blew away the doom and gloom with the first proper blast of the year in the Daimler Dart. An almost empty coast road with just a few holidaymakers and the odd bike doing the same as me, long straights and twisty bends with great visibility, the smell of hot oil and leather (hmm sounds a bit fruity when you read it but you know what I mean :-)), flat-out acceleration, squealing tyres, hot brakes, what remains of my hair in peril of being blown away........good to be alive! Do it while you can!
flat-out acceleration, squealing tyres, hot brakes

to RAAAAS man! quite right nick, the real thing....

(are the said tyres crossply? Those American racing ones? I do hope so. But if not, No Blame as the I Ching often says...)