Self-levelling rear suspension? - stunorthants26
My dads shock absorbed snapped off yesterday through rust. He now has it booked in to have the rear pair replaced. He has been quoted £250 fitted, but what puzzled me was he was told that they were self-levelling - were these cars ever fitted with such suspension? I recall my grandad manually raising the ride height at the rear when he once carried a very heavy load, but self-levelling suspension didnt sound right on a 1993 Astra estate.

Any clues if it was ever fitted to this model?
Self-levelling rear suspension? - Number_Cruncher
Self levelling, I very much doubt, but, load levelling suspension, with a Schrader valve just inside the tailgate to allow the dampers to be pressurised to compensate for heavy loads, yes, that was a common fitment.

Self-levelling rear suspension? - Dynamic Dave
Self levelling I very much doubt but load levelling suspension with a Schrader valve just
inside the tailgate to allow the dampers to be pressurised to compensate for heavy loads
yes that was a common fitment.

It was indeedy. Pretty sure my old Mk2 Cavalier had it (or was it my Mk3?). Anyway, from what I remember it should have been inflated to a min pressure of 12 psi, but not to go above 60 psi. When they needed replacing I just fitted bog standard shocks which were a lot cheaper than the inflatable shocks.
Self-levelling rear suspension? - redviper
Even all the way back to The Estate version of my Mk1 Astra... this also had load levelling suspension as well again with min and max inflation recommendations, i didnt know if the hatch (my version) had it though.
Self-levelling rear suspension? - bell boy
i had a mk3 astra last year,it came in looking sad but a damm good pumping made it look a right street racer and it went to someone who was pleased it didnt look like all the other saggy ones that they had viewed
Thanks folks, told my dad and we had a look and indeed it does have this function.
My dad commented that this is the first time these shocks have been replaced since the car was new, so approaching 16 years - now thats longevity!
My dad commented that this is the first time these shocks have been replaced since
the car was new so approaching 16 years - now thats longevity!

>>>>>>well i would call it shocking
but they arent shocking are they because thats why he is replacing them
Well actually the shocks still worked fine, it was the lower mounting point that rusted through!
its obviously never been in a fast fit place then ;-) as the shocks would have been changed 4 times by now if it had
Indeedy although it did have 11 years of main dealer servicing before we got it, so its goy a fair fewish parts!
Fastfit centre are replacing the shocks though. My dad said this morning he has spent £1000 on repairs in the last year now, heres hoping there arent any more to come ( two years until he wants to buy another car ).
Self-levelling rear suspension? - bathtub tom
Does he need the load levelling facility?

He could probably save a few quid by fitting staight shocks.
He asked the question, but they said that the mountings are different for standard shocks as they did get one out and see if it would fit.