Small automatics - Phil F.
Hi,
My better half has an old...N regd...Clio auto.Its been a great car during the four years
she has owned it,actually a pleasure to drive.It looks like it will need some money spending on it shortly,so maybe its time to update and she would like something more
modern.
It seems quite difficult to find something as comfortable and nippy to replace it with and
most small autos,like the Jazz,Yaris etc fetch very high prices.
Are the later Clio auto boxes still troublesome?
She rather likes the C3,but I have no idea if their auto boxes are any good.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Phil.
Small automatics - Altea Ego
Mu mum had a N reg clio auto from new. It never coughed or murmered or caused a moments agro or failed an MOT in 13 years. If she hadnt driven it into the trolley shelter (full of trolleys) at our local waitrose, it would still be purring along now.

She now has a clio 2 phase 2 auto Only had that for a year so cant say how that is panning out but has been ok.
Small automatics - boxsterboy
The auto on the C3 is a Sensodrive (automated manual). I quite liked the similar EGS box I had on my C4, but the box on the C3 seems less popular. But I've never driven one, so can't say.

With automated manuals you don't get the 'creep' of conventional autos which seems to put people off, but you soon get used to it, and the automated manual cars are more economical than conventional autos (and even some manuals) which is the main reason you see more of them these days.
Small automatics - stunorthants26
For suggestions you would need to provide budget and exact requirements really.

Nicests small auto aside from the misses Daihatsu that ive driven has been the previous model Yaris 1.3 auto. I drove one and it was perfect. Sometimes its better to have an older higher mileage good car than a newer lower mileage not so good car, thus Yaris is worth a little extra.
Small automatics - gordonbennet
You can specify a proper auto in the C3 and it makes the car a delight to drive, they seem quite powerful too, so maybe the box comes with larger petrol engined higher spec cars, don't recall seeing a diesel with the proper auto.
Rare though so may be difficult to buy used.

The small Suzuki auto's i've driven are nice too.
Apart from the Daihatsu's that Stu refers to there's not many proper auto's around in small cars.

Personal opinion only, i wouldn't have an automated manual whatever clever sounding name they may give them at any price, truly horrible to drive....though some like them.