comprehensive cover from home - El Hacko
reader's letter in one of today's papers describes how woman's loaded shopping trolley slid down supermarket car park slope and hit car, causing £300 damage. She claimed on her household insurance policy. Company paid out in full and commented that her claim was one of the first of its kind for them.
comprehensive cover from home - Bill Payer
Seems fair enough.

Colleague's next door neighbour's son fell off his bike into colleague's parked car and did a fair amount of damage. Colleague initially tried to claim on his own car insurance (had come to an arrangement with neighbour over excess and premium increases) but was referred to neighbours household insurance, who settled the claim.

Edited by Bill Payer on 17/04/2009 at 12:11

comprehensive cover from home - Cliff Pope
Not all household policies would cover this. It would need to have accidental damage cover when using someone else's property (trolley) on someone else's premises (car park). It sounds more like personal negligence cover?
comprehensive cover from home - IanJohnson
It is a case of the trolley (ownership and location of which is irrelevant) was under the control of a person who did not maintain proper control (left it unattended on slope) and as a result of their negligence in failing to control the trolley it damaged the property of a third party.

The catch is if they don't have accidental damage cover then the injured party needs to prove negligence.
comprehensive cover from home - smokie
Made me think of an incident a few years back when a ridge tile hit daughter's moving car (TPFT only) and caused quite significant damage to a wing. There was a bit of a storm at the time. The householders insurance refused to pay unless we could prove negligence. We gave up.
comprehensive cover from home - L'escargot
........ trolley slid down supermarket car park slope and hit car causing £300 damage.

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest that sloping carparks should be banned!

;-)
comprehensive cover from home - grumpyscot
> I'm just waiting for someone to suggest that sloping carparks should be banned!

OK - I'll take the bait! I suggest sloping car parks should be banned. I also suggest that all shopping trolleys be fitted with ABS, Collision Detection Systems, 4 wheel drive, and tow bars.
comprehensive cover from home - NARU
I also suggest that all shopping trolleys be fitted with ABS Collision Detection Systems 4 wheel drive and tow bars.

All a flashing amber light, all operators to wear reflective jackets and the trolleys to make an annoying beep beep beep sound when in use.

I've just seen this solution to a problem I didn't know existed ...
www.towsure.com/product/15168-%27HAZARD%27_Manoeve...y

The video made me laugh out loud at its pointlessness!

Edited by Marlot on 20/04/2009 at 08:44

comprehensive cover from home - pmh2
I suggest that supermarket trolleys should be banned from all dual carrigeways, since they are slow moving and constitute a hazsrd to people carrying white sticks.

On second thoughts, maybe do away with sloping access ramps as all wheeled vehicles could move with out driver control.

p