97 1.9 can it run on veggie oil? - telecaster
Have bought a scrapper zx (1997) to keep my 1993 in spares.

Car has a few months mot left but bodywise its rough.

It has the Bosch fuel pump which I have been informed can run on veggie oil.

Would like to give it a go for curiosity if nothing else.....is it simply a matter of going to my local tesco and buying a few litres of veggie oil and putting it in?

Can I sieve the contents of my deep fat fyrer or collect from the local chippie?

Seems to good to be true ....any advice welcomed!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/04/2009 at 01:01

97 1.9 Citroen zx on veggie oil? - bell boy
try the clean supermarket stuff by all means
dont go near chip shop and bits stuff
i got my tank dipped yesterday so that both trucks checked now in 2 different counties, so the customs are obviously better manned than ever,i would make sure if i was you that you are squeeky clean legally to run non fuel duty stuff before you consider it
one final thing, is it really worth all the hassle?
97 1.9 Citroen zx on veggie oil? - telecaster
Cheers bb.like I said is more a curiosity thing....Car is for spares only but am intrigued by the whole veggie thing!
97 1.9 Citroen zx on veggie oil? - thomp1983
the bosch pump will happily run on 100% veg oil, not sure if id go that far personally, think id stay more to a 75% oil 25% diesel mix. if you can find someone with a cash and carry card you can normally get it in 25 litre containers at a decent price. customs wise you just need to keep a note of how many litres you've used and the receipts for it, you don't have to pay any tax on the first so many litres a year it is a reasonable allowance just can't remember the figure.

chris
97 1.9 Citroen zx on veggie oil? - Hamsafar
You should be fine as said up to 75% in these warmer temps until around October. Try 50:50 to begin with as it's easier to put some more in than take some back out!

legally you can use up to 2000 litres veg oil a year for personal use without paying duty or filing a declaration.

Chip shops usually use PALMAX or FRYMAX - solid white blocks of saturated palm or soya fat.

Edited by Hamsafar on 17/04/2009 at 13:27