95 2.0 Auto - holding too high a gear - Surrey_Scientist
I have a 1995 grey-import Celica GT convertible (Gen6) it has 3SGE engine with 4speed automatic box.

The gearbox is holding too high a gear in "normal" mode - reluctant to downshift on hills/underload or when I kick it down, making he car is feeling very sluggish

When I switch it into "PWR" mode using the button next to the gear lever, it behaves much more normally - changes down much earlier, responds to throttle much more quickly and gives much more revs (as one would expect), although in some situatons does hold the gear more than would be expected.

Didn't think the gear-changes were as smooth as usual either.

I am sure it never used to be so sluggish in normal mode.

I recently flushed out the gearbox with a quality Dexron III recently, several changes, and the fluid level is at Max.

as far as I can see there is no kick-down cable to adjust (I have done this with other auto-cars I have had when there have been these problems) I assume it is electronic kickdown.

Is there anything that can be adjusted on this gearbox eg. selector cable (or is the selector electronic too ?)

Edited by Pugugly on 16/04/2009 at 19:54

95 2.0 Auto - holding too high a gear - bell boy
maybe youve got some contaminant blocking a line after the flush
personally im of the mind if it aint broke dont fix it
dont get me wrong i would drop the fluid but i would then just fill up with fresh and run the box back in like a fine boned woman