1.3 Diesel Astra - Vansboy
H All!

Looks like it's time for the Omega to depart this world - coolant leaking, so too much £$£$ to consider fixing.

Anyway, can't find much feedback, regarding the 1.3 diesel Astras, which are now sneaking into auction.

They're not exactly bargains, but supposedly verrrrry low running costs, make them appealing.

Has anyone any ownership comments. Or even just driving experience. It does, on the face of it seem a small engine - which apparently can be re-mapped - when they also offer 1.9 variants.

Thanks in advance!

VB
1.3 Diesel Astra - Rattle
I don't see the appeal

They probably have lots of complicated and expensive stuff if they go wrong.

They may be cheap to run but command a higher purchase price so how many miles would you have do it make it pay compared to a standard Astra?

Just have a think about the bigger picture than than the MPG.
1.3 Diesel Astra - b308
Best bet would be to try a Vauxhall Forum, I'd have thought...

Wasn't there a thread by someone on here who had Corsa with that engine, but wasn't very impressed with fuel consumption?

Edited by b308 on 15/04/2009 at 10:52

1.3 Diesel Astra - bimmer-driver
Seem to remember these 90 bhp 1.3 cdtis suffer from a lot of turbo lag. Not bad in a lighter Punto/Corsa but would think it'd struggle in an Astra.
1.3 Diesel Astra - Robin Reliant
I'd also be interested if people have any experience of these. My Mondy diesel will probably have to be put down this year and I need a reliable replacement with good economy.
1.3 Diesel Astra - Vansboy
Tried a couple places, but they seem to be 'boy racer' Astras, favoured in the sites I found.

In fact, very little, good OR bad. about this one!

Agree with the value for £$£$ of the 'whole' package, when everything is taken into account, though.

VB
1.3 Diesel Astra - flibble
Slow, Slow, Slow, Slow, Slow!!!

I have one as a company car, and it has very disturbing turbo lag in 1st and 2nd. I once went up a very steep hill in 2nd and had to change down to 1st. Additionally fuel economy is not that great as you often have to rev it to 2500-3000 revs to gain the neccesary speed required. prepare for a lot of revving and double declutching to get enough power to move at a reasonable speed. when fully laden it's even worse.

I'd recommend you get the 1.7 CDTI or the 1.9. 1.3 seems tempting but it is vastly underpowered for a car that size. Wouldn't be suprised if we get reports of blown turbo's at low miles as well.
1.3 Diesel Astra - flibble
P.S. 90 Bhp they claim - No chance. My old Rover diesel was 90bhp and it would have left the astra in a cloud o dust. Like comparing a ferrari to a G-Whiz.
1.3 Diesel Astra - EoinM
I have driven one a few times. Very true about the lag in 1st and 2nd, but once the turbo kicks in its suprisingly quick. Also nice and quiet. Been in a Doblo taxi in turkey with the same engine - 300k km up on it, driven by a maniac and still purring like a kitten. Very impressive.

Also easy to remap 115 brake
1.3 Diesel Astra - davidh
Very good in the Corsa Combo van which I'd guess is a similar weight to an Astra. Very quiet and 52 mpg.