01 1.9 - Earthing failure - mpr500
Hi

The car starts well from cold and idles or pulls away as expected. Within 5 minutes it loses power and stops, with all dials moving right and left and an electrical hum evident. If the car is switched off and the ignition turned again, the chaotic dial movement continues. After 5 -10 minutes (and rising) it is possible to restart and the problem does not recur through the journey or within a few hours of stopping. It will recur after about 8 hours parked, but not always. On one recent occasion the episode occured before any progress was made. It is serviced up to date and an auto electrician has added an additional earthing strap under the bonnet. Bulb failure used to be a problem and this was suspected. However, bulbs have not failed since the auto electrician's attention some weeks ago. No bulb is switched on when the episode occurs. The car is otherwise very sound and has been in my 4 years' ownership. Thoughts welcome.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/04/2009 at 00:59

01 1895 Earthing failure - Javalin
Alarm / Imobiliser maybe?
01 1895 Earthing failure - mpr500
Thanks for that - I'll have it looked at.
01 1895 Earthing failure - Altea Ego
Alternator. The regulator pack is probably failing
Thanks for that - but why do you reckon the car performs well at all other times?
01 1895 Earthing failure - elekie&a/c doctor
I think I would be looking a possible faulty ignition switch on this.A fairly common issue on this model year.Part is not expensive,around £30 and very easy to fit.The only earthing issues I have seen on these is related to the rear light clusters.hth
Thanks for that - appreciated. I'll try it.

MPR