04 2.0 Unenven tyre wear - UncleR
Had 4 new tyres fitted about 2 years ago. We don't do big miles so they're still in reasonable shape. That is, apart from the n/s rear which got an advisory at recent MOT because it's wearing on the inner 3rd (outer 2/3rds are fine).

This is going to need replacing soon but I'm wondering why this has happened. Is it that the wheel just wasn't balanced properly (which will be remedied by new tyre being fitted)? As it's the rear, it's far less likely to have be knocked out of alignment than the fronts. All the other tyres are wearing normally.

I'm also worried I'll pay for expensive alignment which isn't needed as I'm at the mercy of whatever the garage say. Could an unbalanced tyre wear like this?

Any advice on how to address this would be great.
04 2.0 Unenven tyre wear - Peter.N.
If you have uneven wear on only one tyre it must be an alignment problem - unless the tyre is faulty. Being out of balance will not cause uneven wear
04 2.0 Unenven tyre wear - bell boy
As Peter.N says
obviously if you think the garage is going to rip you off why not just bash the back axle with a large hammer yourself and save pounds
04 2.0 Unenven tyre wear - UncleR
OK, so sounds like I will need to have alignment checked. Why are tyres balanced then? I presumed that was to do with ensuring even tyre contact with road.

@bell boy - My concern is justified. EVERY time I have ever been asked if I want my alignment checked (on every car I have ever owned) I have been told it is out of alignment. Even when my tyres being replaced have worn evenly. It seems to me a very lucrative quick task for garages to perform. With the mileage I do, evidence that alignment wasn't the issue won't appear for at least 12 months leaving me with little recourse with any garage who says the alignment is out.

Any idea how much I should be paying for getting the alignment done?

cheers