Am I mad or just in denial?! - I'm a Pane
Hi all,
Due to credit crunch britain etc etc I have found myself in need of some ready cash in a hurry, and selling my car was an (unwelcome) option. Just thought I would share my experience. I used a web based car buying outfit based in Enfield (not sure if I can name them) who to my amazement actually gave me, after inspection, the amount offered online - I was sure that the actual offer would be considerably less - particularly since they offered full book trade value which most dealers were not prepared to offer as a downward part exchange! Given that this was only £500 less than I bought the car for 9 months ago I feel quite pleased wth the outcome.

Now here's the 'am I mad or just in denial ' part. I have bought an 'x' reg Megane 1.6 sport alize to replace an '03' 2.0 Passat. And I've found I actually prefer the Megane!! Ride is comparable, performance just as good, MPG much better (42 V 28), and it has some toys on it the Passat didn't (sunroof and aircon/stereo controls on the wheel). Now I might just be lucky, but for £1300 I have a car with no rust, full service history, one previous owner, 59000 miles, and one that feels and looks virtually brand new - in fact the Passat had more rattles internally!

I am aware of the potential faults with a Renault, but to be honest at this sort of value - and having checked prices for the likely parts like coil packs etc - I am quids in.

Just goes to show that there ARE great cheap motors out there, AND that in these current conditions a down trade doesn't have to leave you feeling depressed and embarrassed about what you drive!

I will let you know if my feelings change.....
Am I mad or just in denial?! - Alby Back
I say well done Pete. Despite my well documented bigotry against Renaults I actually quite want to like them strangely enough. They are one of the few manufacturers who dare to be a bit different and my prejudices are founded upon one bad car which wasn't even the same model. I am told almost every day on here that my Mondeo is a ticking time bomb but it doesn't seem to know that. Your new car may well also be fine and while it clearly represents a significant amount of money to you at this present moment, in the scheme of things it isn't tying up a great deal of cash in the longer view. If you get a sensible period of reliable and pleasureable use out of it while your finances recover then that's great I say.

bon chance !
Am I mad or just in denial?! - the swiss tony
good luck with the Renault... Im afraid to say I think you will need it!

I had a Megane, looked good, drove nice - hit 80k and basically fell apart NEVER again!
Am I mad or just in denial?! - DP
The older generation Renaults are a good bet in my opinion. They lack the over-complex mechanical design of the later models, meaning repair and service is easier, and cheaper. It also means said repairs are within the remit of indie garages (who often won't touch newer Renaults) - or even DIY, meaning you don't have to pay £100+ per hour every time anything goes wrong. Based on the quotes I had from my Renault dealer when we had our Scenic II, I foresee many of the current generation being scrap material by the time they are 6 years old.

Your car will also not have the unbelievably complex, poorly installed electrical system of the later units, on which intermittent, niggly faults are simply something to be lived with. If anything does pack up permanently on yours, you can find the problem with a multimeter. Not so on the later multiplex wired abominations. It will also have been on the used market long enough that Renault's expensive and wasteful policy of forcing you to purchase expensive complete assemblies instead of individual repair parts will have been rendered irrelevant by the aftermarket. I have countless examples on the later Megane 2 which an individual component failure requires replacement of a complete assembly, and junking of many other perfectly serviceable parts.

With the exception of the early dCi units, and a very unreliable variable cam timing system on later 1.6 petrols, Renault engines have always been superb units. They're as tough as anything out there, and will usually cover high mileages with no trouble. The body steel is also of a standard that contemporary Fords and Vauxhalls can only dream about - when did you last see a visibly rusty Renault that was less than 15 years old?

And of course, Renaults are lovely cars to use. Supremely comfortable, well equipped, supple riding, and very elegantly designed.

I suspect this car will serve you well.

Am I mad or just in denial?! - andyp
I would imagine that as an X reg that it will have the 16V engine, its a cracking unit, powerful and economical with low emmisions It but does however have one weakness and that is the individual coil packs fitted to each plug.

I had to be recovered twice in 18 months due to one of these failing, its nearly always the one on number 2 cylinder goes 1st for some reason, but always change them as a set of 4 as the others soon start to fail after the 1st one has gone down. The AA and RAC carry these as spares as they go so often !

I was advised to always use OE spark plugs and to buy coils made by Beru for the best chance of not breaking down again, i dont know if this worked though as i sold the car.
Thanks for the comments. I already have a set of four coil packs in the boot just in case! And I agree about the 16V engine - smooth, sweet, powerful and economical. I think the only real give away to the cars design age is probably the noise levels at 'true motorway speeds' (!). However having had a 2007 mk2 Focus on lease for a time I don't think there is a lot in it - perhaps the Passat was quieter more because of its additional size/saloon body.

Anyway, I remain delighted with my 'bargain bucket' purchase.
Am I mad or just in denial?! - y2k+4
Hi Pete,

I'm looking to sell my car...would it be possible to name the garage involved/message me it? I'd be very grateful, thanks...
Mods - am I allowed to name the company?
Am I mad or just in denial?! - Pugugly
Yes !
Okay- company is webuyanycar.com, I think they have a number of inspection/purchasing centres around the country. All I would say is be honest with your on line appraisal - if there is a dent or scratch on a panel note it correctly - and then there should be no cause for the inspection to throw up a nasty surprise regarding the valuation.