Rust on galvanised tailgate - Dave N
So if a panel is galvanised, how come I've got rust bubbling through the paint on the tailgate? Can galvanised panels be rubbed down and painted (surely that removes the zinc then?), or does it need a new tailgate?

Ha, at least the garage won't be able to blame it on stone damage.
Rust on galvanised tailgate - Old Navy
Ha at least the garage won't be able to blame it on stone damage.

>>

Ha, dont bet on it, loading / unloading damage to pickup tailgate ?

Edited by Old Navy on 10/04/2009 at 21:10

Rust on galvanised tailgate - xtrailman
Sounds like part of the panel was not treated correctly.

Galvanising comes in different qualitys, different microns of finnish.
I think the use of the word is used too freely in the car industry.
I doubt if the panel is hot galvanised.
I had a better look today as I cleaned it. There's 8 bubbles at various places, not on the edges but just in the middle of the panel on the outside. 4 have just broken through with a tiny but of rust stain showing, 4 are still just a small bubble. Guess I'll be down the dealer on tuesday for the usual fight.

Hot dipped it ain't. I agree with you xtrailman, made from zinc/phosphated sheet is nearer the mark.
Well I made the trip to the dealer, and guess what? They declared it was stone chip damage. I asked him if it didn't seem a bit odd that so much damage had occured on just one panel, and it's the one panel that faces the rear of the car. I also explained that I don't drive everywhere backwards, and that if you look carefully you can see that they're actually little bubbles, rather than a chunk of paint missing and rust forming on the bare spot. He seemed to think that stones from the rear tyres can spin round and throw themselves against the rear with enough energy to break the paint, even when the car is travelling forward at 100kph.

Anyway, he said he would speak to isuzu and get back to me. Ha, is there an international school that all garage staff go to, where they learn to deny everything, swear balck is white even when the evidence is to the contrary, and manage to keep a straight face when explaining that the laws of physics don't actually apply to stones thrown up from the road.
Rust on galvanised tailgate - Pugugly
Sounds like my school.
Rust on galvanised tailgate - R40
If you haven't already then its worth taking a number of pics inc. close up to help your case.
Rust on galvanised tailgate - Lud
guess what? They declared it was stone chip damage.

A dealer, salesman or mechanic capable of telling a punter that a tailgate is rusting as a result of stone chip damage is one of two things: a dolt or a crook. Any further conversation with such a person other than a stream of obscenities to relieve one's feelings is a complete waste of breath. Go elsewhere, or complain through channels.
Rust on galvanised tailgate - L'escargot
I vaguely remember that galvanised steel is only corrosion resistant as long as the zinc coating is intact. As soon as the zinc coating is broken, bimetallic (galvanic) corrosion can occur which results in the steel corroding.

I think we need a metallurgist!